can the Wii play DVD's?

mad_angler1

Novice Member
As the title says? :)

put a DVD in mine ad it would not read it

p meister

Novice Member
There's been talk of a DVD version or possibly DVD compatible software update next year. But like he said not at the moment.

Anotherlimey

Distinguished Member
Why would anyone want a games console to be DvD player?

Yes its an added bonus but with DvD players being two a penny does it really matter? :rolleyes:

breadbun

Some people (like myself) like to limit the number of things they plug into their tv's... a DVD-compatible Wii would solve a lot of problems for me, if it could be used for both games and video on the telly that my kids use... why have 2 boxes, 2 remotes (more to lose!), 2 things to learn how to use... simple dvd playback would be excellent, and I hope software comes along that allows it in teh future.

secretagent2

i would of liked it if it played DVDs, it would of got rid of one extra box under the TV, one extra remote and one extra lead.

For the amount of times i watch DVDs i only have a cheap £20 ASDA own brand, the Wii would of made my TV life a lot tidier

breadbun

It seems another version of the Wii will be available to Japan, which will have DVD playback in 2007, but not the rest of the world. It looks like they won't be upgrading existing Wii's, as the solution is hardware based, not software based:

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/746/746637p1.html

I read somewhere that a software company had "won" the contract to provide a software based DVD solution for the Wii.. sure someone posted a link to the press release on here...

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Why would anyone want a games console to be DvD player?

Possibly for the same reason as some want a games console to be a Blu-Ray player, and some want a console to be a HD-DVD player ;) Simplicity and intergration ;)

mad_angler1

Novice Member
So are we saying that the Wii is fitted with a laser capable of reading DVD’s?

Moogle

Novice Member
So are we saying that the Wii is fitted with a laser capable of reading DVD’s?

I should hope so as the Wii games are on DVD format.;) All the Wii really needs is DVD film play back as part of it's interfaced which is essentially a software issue. The only thing is if they made the Wii capable of playing back DVD films then they would have to pay the DVD conortium a licensing fee for every Wii sold. That is the cost issue for them.

lazymatt

Novice Member
I read somewhere that a software company had "won" the contract to provide a software based DVD solution for the Wii.. sure someone posted a link to the press release on here...

I think you mean this:

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/745/745515p1.html

But this is not a software solution for current Wii's, just that they are helping Ninty with a new Wii SKU which will retail in Japan in 2007 with DVD playback capability.

MyBigToe

Novice Member
I should hope so as the Wii games are on DVD format.;) All the Wii really needs is DVD film play back as part of it's interfaced which is essentially a software issue. The only thing is if they made the Wii capable of playing back DVD films then they would have to pay the DVD conortium a licensing fee for every Wii sold. That is the cost issue for them.

If the wii used DVD media, it would have to pay the DVD Consortium, so the wii uses a proprietary format using the cubes type of disc, but larger.
Its dvd sized, not of a dvd format

monkeypete

I should hope so as the Wii games are on DVD format.;)

IIRC the Wii discs are not DVD format, they use the same proprietary format as the GameCube discs, but just bigger. Hence why it would take more than just a firmware update to enable DVD playback.

Edit: Somehow managed to miss MyBigToe's post when I wrote this :oops:

Drex

Novice Member
So let me get this right.........the Wii is not CD or DVD based,it basically uses its own media sytem which is equivalent to Dvd in storage ?

Coolit

I wouldnt use it as a DVD player but it would let me use my DVE disc to calibrate the TV with the Wii which would be ace:D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom