1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can the way a Domino is set up affect rainbows

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sanjuro, May 12, 2004.

1. sanjuro

sanjuro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What i mean is i have seen a few Sim2 Domino 20s and never seen rainbows (all these were at shows so there was light pollution) but i went to my local retailers and watched X-men 2 and i saw quite a few, i also had headache on the way home (20 mins demo). the salesman said that the Domino 20 was not set up perfectly as they had just sent back a 300 Extra which had been on demo, also the screen was not absolutly flat (electric) can this make rainbows more easily seen? Do i need to go to a correctly set up demo before i decide to buy a LCD or D-ila, CRT instead.

Thanks

sanjuro

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,090
    An overly bright set-up and/or a high gain screen can help produce rainbows apparently, so it is possible. It's also possible that as you don't normaly see them, you may grow accustomed to them for them to not be an issue in the future.

If you never saw them in a light contaminated environment, it's possible that you'll see them at home too, if you project in near darkness, so there's no guarentee.

You're wise to ensure you get a good demo first, and now that you have seen them, make sure you have a longer demo next time just to be sure.

All projection systems have their pros and cons, just be aware of them beforehand like you were in this case.

Gary.

3. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Sanjuro,

I suggest you have another demo as it sounds like things could have been set up better.
    All single chip DLPs have the potential to produce colour separation depending on the video material, whether it's PAL or NTSC, screen size, viewing distance, lighting control to name but a few.
    As Gary says a longer demo and a wider range of material would be wise.