Can the UK Xbox do progressive Scan

Jon Weaver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
I have a UK Xbox which has been chipped and I wonder if it is actually possible to get a 'Progressive Scan' output for it?

I have read about a number of patches that can be used on the software to 'patch' them, but I am not sure whether the UK box actually does Progressive.

I know that the USA version does.. Does anyone know for sure if the UK model does?

the uk xbox certainly can do prog scan. All you need is one of the hi-definition av packs from a US console (they come with a box which has outputs for component video, stereo sound and optical digital sound), I got mine from a company in jersey called mx2 ( http://www.mx2.org/acatalog/MX2_org_Xbox_Hardware_210.html ) it comes with a set of (cheap) component cables as well.

To use this to get a progressive scan output you will need a copy of the video mode select CD which effectively allows you to turn your pal xbox into an ntsc one (and vice versa) at the touch of a button. PM me know if you need a copy of this and I'll sort it out. If you have your xbox and PC networked it's easy to install this program on the xbox's hard drive and then just use it whenever you need to.

HTH
Owain

Cheers Owain,

I justed orded a cheap Component lead, which I am guessing will be OK for Progressive.

Until last night, I had all of the 'progressive scan' patches (For MSDashborad, DVDX and general one for ANY xbe file), but not the PAL/NTSC select tool. But last night I borred the NTSC/PAL select disk from a fried and have now installed it as a menu item under EvoX.

So, if I understand you correctly, in order to get progressive scan, I can't leave the box in PAL.. I have to put it in NTSC.

Do I also have to 'patch' the XBEs to get Progressive, or can you select the PS option from within the game?

So, if I understand you correctly, in order to get progressive scan, I can't leave the box in PAL.. I have to put it in NTSC.

Dead right, the xbox can't output pal progressive, only ntsc progressive.

Do I also have to 'patch' the XBEs to get Progressive, or can you select the PS option from within the game?

Sorry, forgot to mention this before: When you have the hi-def AV pack it changes the video menu under settings on the MS dashboard. Instead of asking you just about PAL 60, it now asks you about 480p (i.e. does your tv support normal resolution progressive scan).

If you use the video mode selector to change you xbox to an ntsc one then you get more options (480p, 720p and 1080i). Once you have set these it's up to your game which format it puts out, there is no selection in the game itself for progressive scan. An example:

PAL halo played on PAL machine with NTSC switched on = 480p output

It's upto the individual game which format it puts out depending on what you select on the MS dashboard. Annoyingly colin mcrae 3 (PAL) only puts out normal NTSC, not progressive scan when played on my xbox with ntsc enabled.

HTH
Owain

Interesting.. I have a patch which converts 'xbe' files to progressive..

I have one designed specifically for DVDX, another for MSDASHBOARD and an 'generic' one.

There was no intructions, but from what I can gather, you 'patch' the XBE and it then outputs Progressive.

My Component cable turned up this morning, but my Plasma isn't out of the box yet, so I can't test.

Say I change the output to 480p, will the output ALWAYS be Progressive or does it mean that it will be only 480p when the game allows it.

Say it set it to 480p and move it to a 'normal' TV, will the dashbord still appear in 'interlaced', or will it now be in 'progressive'.

I am only concerned as I mainly use the Xbox on a small TV, but from time to time, I want to take it into the living room and connecting to the Plasma using Progressive Scan.

I am sure this will all make sence when I finally get it connected up.

Many thanks for the reply.

PS. Have you been able to find the new EvolutionX version?

Originally posted by Jon Weaver
I have a UK Xbox which has been chipped and I wonder if it is actually possible to get a 'Progressive Scan' output for it?

I have read about a number of patches that can be used on the software to 'patch' them, but I am not sure whether the UK box actually does Progressive.

I know that the USA version does.. Does anyone know for sure if the UK model does?

yes for most games put, but doesn't do it for dvd's though

Originally posted by Jon Weaver
Interesting.. I have a patch which converts 'xbe' files to progressive..

I have one designed specifically for DVDX, another for MSDASHBOARD and an 'generic' one.

There was no intructions, but from what I can gather, you 'patch' the XBE and it then outputs Progressive.

My Component cable turned up this morning, but my Plasma isn't out of the box yet, so I can't test.

Say I change the output to 480p, will the output ALWAYS be Progressive or does it mean that it will be only 480p when the game allows it.

Say it set it to 480p and move it to a 'normal' TV, will the dashbord still appear in 'interlaced', or will it now be in 'progressive'.

I am only concerned as I mainly use the Xbox on a small TV, but from time to time, I want to take it into the living room and connecting to the Plasma using Progressive Scan.

I am sure this will all make sence when I finally get it connected up.

Many thanks for the reply.

PS. Have you been able to find the new EvolutionX version?

The generic patcher is a DOS command which will patch the xbe and make it prog compatible. I haven't tried it myself, but it's supposed to have worked on some games too.

I don't think you need to worry about the xbox being always set to progressive, it can only output a progressive scan signal through the hi definition av pack, not the normal or advanced scart leads, unless your small TV has component video inputs then it shouldn't matter as you'd have to change back to the scart av pack any way. Also switching to PAL using the video mode selector would stop the progressive scan output. I'm sure that the patch program only sets the game/app to output prog scan IF the xbox is able to, otherwise it would default to interlaced I think.

Did you get the high defintion av pack from mx2? They took a lot longer than that when I ordered from them :(

I have evox beta 1.8.2812 which is the newest. PM me and I'll let you have it if you want (file size 1.8meg)

Owain

Owain,

I got a generic component lead for around £12.. Took 24hours.. Well impressed.

I am going to leave the component lead on the Plasma and the composite lead on my small TV in the study.

I also have an RGB cable on the TV with my PS2, but I currently use it.

I know that the generic patcher does something, as even if the Xbox is in PAL mode and I have the Composite cable connected, the game that I patch just gives a black screen.

With regards to Evolution, I have sent you a PM.. Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom