1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can the shuttle be a real HCPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dsp fan, Oct 31, 2004.

1. dsp fan

dsp fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A shout out to the Shuttle cube users, really. They have a new 64 bit board and i was wondering if it really could be placed in a lounge and used as an HCPC using the two PCI ports one for a 9600 xt (fanless ?) the other an M-Audio card ?

Or is in the internal integrated 6.1 sound digital out OK? Can you get a silent enough disk drive and will the graphics card work ?

I would put a DVD player in the front slot and basically load, MPClassic and Theatretec to play the odd DVD and some hi res files, using a firewire drive or USB 2 drive for expanded storage.

Not really interested in in TV cards, Satellite inputs and Hard drive recording like a PVR ? I think this technology has a long way to go to be simple enough in an Windows Xp environment.

Any flames or information that anyone can offer would be great. A lot of PCi-E board talk but not really techie enough to understand this. Main drive is aesthetics and noise levels for the louge, oh and price of course otherwise i wouldnt be looking at the shuttle ?

thanks in advance tony

2. mikearv

mikearv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the SilentX PSU's are pretty noisy/whiney. I have a SN41G2, originally came with the original PSU and that was whiney, annoyingly so, it kept changing gear. It would have been much more liveable if it kept at the same level.

I bought one of the new SilentX PSU units to replace it and was dissapointed. While it was quieter it's still too whiney. £45 too. I keep my shuttle now in the loft on 24/7 as a fileserver and even when I'm in the bathroom I can hear the shuttle whining away up in the loft sometimes. I wouldn't buy another for that reason, unless ofcourse the new models are alot different.

I have a full ATX alluminium tower with carefully choosen quiet components that is 5 times quieter than my shuttle.

3. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the new Shuttle SN95G5 and the PSU makes no noise atall i even turned all other fans off and unplugged hard drive and it was not audible so not sure what PSU it uses

but the Case fan that came with it is too noisy even at the slowest speed so i changed that for a super quiet Silent X fan and the whole PC is really quiet even with a 6800GT gfx card