Can the Seleco SVT150 projector accept component vid feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberheater

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Seleco SVT150 projector can accept a component vid feed?

Thanks. Quick answer would be appreciated.

Considering a defection...

:)

Hehe..

Have you seen one in action?

You can get some serious performance form a CRT for not much money, but they do have their pros and cons just like the digitals. That light meter should be on it's way to you soon by the way. :)

Gary.

Thanks Gary.

In a previous life I used to do AV work and sometimes had to temporary install and setup Barco data projectors.

Even did the official Barco calibration course.

I just remember them being a bit of a nightmare to calibrate properly and sometimes took a couple of hours.
Obviously the key was to get the physical geometry right in the first place but that was not always possible.

Also had the joy of setting up via mirrors. What fun.

I'll be interested in how you get on with this. I'm having a look at some CRTs myself right now just to get some idea of the performance of them in relation to what I'm getting from my H78 as well as to learn more about them (I'd seen some 8" CRTs and a 9" at the Guildford event two yeasr ago but want to see more). I've seen Godfathers Barco, and sometime soon I'm hoping to see JimmytheSaints Sony G90. I took my Colorfacts and light meter along to Godfathers at his bequest for some measurements, and that was very interesting for both of us.

What scaler will you be using with the Seleco or have you got an HTPC?

Gary.

I haven't got a scaler. Do these things not have built in line doubler etc...

The svt-150 seems to have 2 scarts sockets that accept rgb to I guess feeds from my cable box wil be fine.

I'm just trying to figure out if the Seleco can accept a component feed?

How important are scalers for crt's anyway. I'm sure I can press my home pc as a scaler using dscaler.
A sweetspot card might have to be ordered.

I'm not sure but I was under the impression they do need one for best image quality and many seem to be using one - even the G90 benefits from one by the looks of it but Yas (JTS) will hopefuly tell us more on this. The Crystalia scaler seems quite popular but a friend of mine is very happy with his DVDO Iscan and they are much cheaper, especialy if you buy one second hand.

Your PC with a Radeon 9600+ or one of the newer nVidia cards will do the trick for DVD playback (using windvd, powerdvd or TheaterTec for the player), and if you use the sweetspot card with DScaler you can scale/deinterlace your cable box in the PC. I think the HTPC route is probably the best way if you don't mind the twiddle factor or the occasional hair pulling. :)

Gary.

Thanks Gary. A mine of useful information as usual. :smashin:

cyberheater said:
Thanks Gary. A mine of useful information as usual. :smashin:

Some here wouldn't agree with you though. lol! Have a read through some of the posts I've been involved in and you'll get the picture. :)

Gary.

cyberheater said:
I haven't got a scaler. Do these things not have built in line doubler etc...

Most of the later CRTs have some sort of built in scalers but generally they're not that great. All the Barco Cine series projectors (including my last Cine 7LT) has something called Limo Pro. At 480 and 576p, the component progressive output of a good DVD player (e.g. Panasonic RP82, Philips 963SA) did a much better job than the built-in unit. By better I mean: sharper, less noise, better deinterlacing with fewer visible artefacts. If that Seleco unit can accept component inputs then that would be good news. If not, your PC should do a fine job as well.

cyberheater said:
Does anyone know if the Seleco SVT150 projector can accept a component vid feed?

Thanks. Quick answer would be appreciated.

I think it only has RGB with separate H & V Syncs

Jeff

RTFM said:
I think it only has RGB with separate H & V Syncs

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

So DVD from a HTPC would be the way to go...

It's a VIDEO only device....ie It cannot accept progresssive scan signal. It's OK for a pub....it's crap as a home theatre device these days...I know as I had it's bigger brother the SVT195 as the first CRT projector I ever had.

Look elsewhere.

G

Thanks Gordon. Duly noted...

Nicely put G!!!! That stoped everyone in their tracks!!!

Cyberheater, you have a long and painful learning curve ahead of you. Take my advise, life is too short, when it comes to CRT, learn what you can but leave the rest to the pros.

Learning the art of installing CRT's is like an apprenteship, you never stop learning, just when you think you know it all, you get talking to a pro and you realise there's loads more to be learnt.

Surrey Lad ;)

hi all!
first off.. setting up a 150 for someone with a brain and never having set one up before will take about 4 hours (pm me if you want any advice)
as to the "useless for home theatre??) a lot of people here are like those hi fi nuts from years ago! I wouldnt mind too much if they didnt then show it was just snobbery by saying how good there plasma/dlp/lcd is!!
most people who actualy want to watch programs and not watch for faults are quite happy with 150's (I do however pity the poior guy with the 195 the WORST seleco ever made!!)
the 150 wont take progressive scan and you cannot use a scaler they operate with a fixed hoz freq of 16.125khz however.. most normal people are quite happy! and.. I will put one against any reasonable priced plasma or dlp/lcd and I know the seleco will look better and in 2/3 years time when you scrap said plasma/dlp/lcd the seleco will still be going!
even after you have spent the cost of a new seleco on lamps for your dlp.lcd it will still be going...
can people stop assuming everyone wants a "perfect picture" and is willing to re mortgage their house to get it!
a lot of people would be quite happy with a video only crt machine!
and I for one am a lot happier than if I had wasted my money on dlp/lcd equipment!

Gazz: As I've said it's pub projector.....which it is....if you are going to buy a s/h crt then go get a cheap Sony12xx....easy to set up....cheap as chips...under £500 easy.....works with an external processor and has an infinately better image quality than the 150. If you're getting it free or for under £100 then a 150 is fun to play with but with the amount of decent data grade s/h crt's kicking around you can do better if you're actually going to pay money.

I enjoyed watching my SVT195 (DIGI convergence model) ...I suspect I'm probably the only person in UK who shone theirs at a magnolia wall and then calibrated the greyscale to compensate in the service menu....hahahaha....I'm sure that there are MANY folk who would enjoy watching a bg shiny video only image too.....but you can do MUCH better nowadays and it need not mean selling an arm and a leg....

Anyway...off to watch my extremely poor quality plasma ;)

Gordon

Gordon

hi again!
glad you realise how poor the quality of your plasma is! :D
the sony's are ok BUT every cheap sony I have ever had (and that is quite a lot)
have had poor tubes! most of them actualy faulty (mainly h k short)
one of the main problems with the 190/195 seleco was the unreliable nature of these tubes! I saw worse than a 10:1 ratio failed tubes sony v toshiba!
for someone that wants a cheap home proj I would always recomend tosh tubes
the same applied to the seleco 320/350 sony tubes always spelled disaster!
and how anyone can say the sony is easier to set up?
if we ignore the poxy spacers round the lenses they might be as easy to set up might
I can set up a 150 in 15 mins from hanging on the bracket!
talking of convergence even seleco didnt like the 195! the convergence drift was legendary! I had several I had to converge weekly until I reverted to the
"normal" convergence assembly :D
back to the sony again.. bought a fan for one recently?
how the hell can they justify £63.72 for a brushless fan!!!
no.. you can keep your sony's!!
maybe the 150 was aimed at the pub market.. but that does not make it a bad projector!
back to plasmas.. a couple of things...
on the low end plasmas I am now seeing a 100% failure rate over 2 years :mad:
and finaly a thought (crt proj owners may like to take note of this tale too :rolleyes: )
I recently got a panasonic plasma returned with burns.. apparently he fell asleep at the end of a film he rercorded on sky+
now when you get to the end of the recorded program a banner comes up to say "end of recorded program" and it stays there!
3 hours later you have a knackerd plasma (I am quite aware you can flush it but the life expectancy and luminance implications are terrible!!) :mad:
again at least if that happens on a 150 it takes days to burn!
have you seen what happens if you let your kids play with their video games on your plasma!
chill man! the 150 is perfectly adaquate for a lot of people!

Gazz: I guess we have to agree to disagree....On the burn front I can tell you that I know of folk who've done the same thing with their CRT's....If you don't repsect your display device then you get what you ask for.

Also when you say 100% failure rate I presume you mean in a commercial environment?

I don;t have kids....I do play games on my plasma. I am chilled.....man.

Gordon

Gordon @ Convergent AV said:
Gazz: I guess we have to agree to disagree....On the burn front I can tell you that I know of folk who've done the same thing with their CRT's....If you don't repsect your display device then you get what you ask for.

quite true.. but a lot of people have families!
and that is where most damage occurs!
crt's are a lot harder to burn than plasma panels mainly pecause they are not general driven as hard to try to get a reasonable dynamic range

Also when you say 100% failure rate I presume you mean in a commercial environment?
about an 80/20 split the failure rate in domestic enviroment is a little different..
people are just not prepared to put up with grotty pictures at home!

I don;t have kids....I do play games on my plasma. I am chilled.....man.
and a lucky one at that!
I was not trying to be nasty or flippant it is just most people here have certain assumptions.. they assume that as they are prepared to make a personal crusade towards perfection everyone else is as well!
some people just want to watch tv on a big screen..lets be honest now.. really honest.. the 150 would not be the weakest link would it?
that would be the source! the 150 is perfectly capable of displaying any pal ntsc secam or mpeg transmitted source currently available to us.
and also the majority of dvd's too
I just think those people deserve help too. not derision (this is a pub projector dont waste your time ect) without finding out what they really want!
so let us help those people too!
Gordon

think I might go and watch one of my useless 150s put on a little startrek and chuckel at those people who have bought dlp!!
(look mum no scaler!!)
gazzzman

gazzzman said:
think I might go and watch one of my useless 150s put on a little startrek and chuckel at those people who have bought dlp!!
(look mum no scaler!!)
gazzzman

From my experience a half decent DLP will be better than you think in most resepects other than absolute black level. I found mine to be very similar in performance to Henrys Barco - both have pros and cons so hard to say which is better overall, it will depend on an individuals preferences to what they want from an image. Most DLPs also have built in scalers like Faroudja so although they may get a better picture from using an external scaler or HTPC they don't necessarily need one. They can also take a progressive input and the image is progressive too.

If the CRT doesn't have contrast modulation it won't do a very good job of white and will have poor colour uniformity. If it's AC than it will have poor intra-scene contrast (ANSI) of probably less than 50:1 (DLP can be 500:1+). DLPs have excellent greyscale tracking and can do white. Cyber may find that his current DLP performs remarkably well in many respects so it will do him well to demo the CRT before he sells his Benq.

Gary.

Gazz: I would hope that folk can see from my posts in the past....and with the ones on this thread, that I am a helpful chap. I want folk to have the best image they can get for the money they have to spend.

I hope you enjoy Star Trek on your 150.....I'll be enjoying it on my plasma....

Cheers,

G

Gordon @ Convergent AV said:
Gazz: I would hope that folk can see from my posts in the past....and with the ones on this thread, that I am a helpful chap. I want folk to have the best image they can get for the money they have to spend.

hi again!
you will have to forgive me.. I am relativly new on these forums :)
and I didnt see "It's OK for a pub....it's crap as a home theatre device"
as helpfull or constructive!

I hope you enjoy Star Trek on your 150.....I'll be enjoying it on my plasma....
you enjoy your plasma! I dont have the luxury of sending them back when they go faulty.. I have to repair them :mad:

just as a side note.. I didn't see any crt projectors amongst your products?

G
Cheers,

Gary Lightfoot said:
From my experience a half decent DLP will be better than you think in most resepects other than absolute black level. I found mine to be very similar in performance to Henrys Barco - both have pros and cons so hard to say which is better overall, it will depend on an individuals preferences to what they want from an image. Most DLPs also have built in scalers like Faroudja so although they may get a better picture from using an external scaler or HTPC they don't necessarily need one. They can also take a progressive input and the image is progressive too.

they also cost more to run than an average car :D

If the CRT doesn't have contrast modulation it won't do a very good job of white and will have poor colour uniformity. If it's AC than it will have poor intra-scene contrast (ANSI) of probably less than 50:1 (DLP can be 500:1+). DLPs have excellent greyscale tracking and can do white. Cyber may find that his current DLP performs remarkably well in many respects so it will do him well to demo the CRT before he sells his Benq.

Gary.

I think we are missing the point a little! the main reason I feel sory for dlp owners is the tco! the benq has an ok sort of picture but it is tiring to watch and costs a fortune to keep going in lamps!
I DONT want to have to justify what I watch against the cost of running the thing!
dont get me wrong.. the dlp is miles ahead of the lcd when it comes to colour balance but as yet I have not seen one at all that does not suffer any motion artifacts! not one! add that to the tco and the crt wins every time!
ps.. I work for a benQ dealer :D
cheers
gazzzman

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom