Can the RDXS32's DVD unit be easily replaced?

J

jjames

Hi, I have a Tosh RDXS32, which is about 3 months out of warranty (typical...).

I think the DVD drive is just about stuffed. Don't know how, we don't use the DVD recording all that often on it, using the HDD more often.

When I insert a disc, as often as not it makes ticking noises, much the same as a PS2 does when the guide arm slips against the worm drive and games won't load, if you see what I mean. The drive will think about it for a while, and sometimes run the disc, although it's been getting more temperamental recently. It'll also only burn Riteks of late, whereas previously it could burn just about anything (I got one of the "good" ones, or so I thought!).

Does anyone know if it is possible to swap this drive out with a standard PC drive of some description? Rather than spending a fortune sending it to Tosh to get fixed :(

jjames said:
Hi, I have a Tosh RDXS32, which is about 3 months out of warranty (typical...).

I think the DVD drive is just about stuffed. Don't know how, we don't use the DVD recording all that often on it, using the HDD more often.

When I insert a disc, as often as not it makes ticking noises, much the same as a PS2 does when the guide arm slips against the worm drive and games won't load, if you see what I mean. The drive will think about it for a while, and sometimes run the disc, although it's been getting more temperamental recently. It'll also only burn Riteks of late, whereas previously it could burn just about anything (I got one of the "good" ones, or so I thought!).

Does anyone know if it is possible to swap this drive out with a standard PC drive of some description? Rather than spending a fortune sending it to Tosh to get fixed :(

A small thought: just in case you hadn't, have you tried a lens cleaning kit/disc in it? The Pioneer DVD drive in my PC was acting up in just this manner (and similarly, hadn't been used all that much and only with clean discs) but when I had a go with a cleaner, it got a lot better - so I assume there was a bit of fluff on the lens or something... Worth a shot, before getting more serious perhaps?

Hi, Yes its easy enough to change the drive but before you do that contact Toshiba Customer care, you have had your recorder about the same length of time as me I guess, well Im always using mine so my drive went months ago, the drives that were shipped with these recorders about this time had faulty lens carriers and the firmware update was to low, they took mine in and gave it a new drive, it works fine so far 4 months or so and it will write at 8X, so give them a try first. Also you can update the firmware yourself it may be thats all thats needed,, go to the german Toshiba site thay are on there download it to CD. unplug Recorder, plug it back in again slam in the CD and it does it for you, theres instructions on the site so you wont go wrong, By the way I`d already updated my firmware when still under warranty and they still changed the drive.

Thanks for the replies. I have tried a lens cleaner but my previous experience of these things is that they don't work all that well.

I will get in touch with Tosh to see if we can come to some arrangement.

It's only just over a month since the warranty ran out as it turns out. Called Tosh and they've agreed to honour the warranty, which is very decent of them and makes me a happy camper :) Sounds as if there's a possibility of an upgrade on the cards as well if kriss's experience is typical, I wonder if they're putting in drives from the '34?

jjames said:
It's only just over a month since the warranty ran out as it turns out. Called Tosh and they've agreed to honour the warranty, which is very decent of them and makes me a happy camper :)

What number did you call? Mine is about two months out of warranty and is doing the same thing.

"...the drives that were shipped with these recorders about this time had faulty lens carriers..."

What time was that? My unit was built in June 2004 and is very picky. Plus I have been unable to upgrade the firmware using the German .img file (why does Toshiba not also offer it on an English-language website with English instructions -- an Axis-only policy?); I have used five different kinds of blanks from TDK, Fuji, Imation and Verbatim, and each time the CDR is rejected as dirty or damaged.

The file seems to burn onto disk successfully; is it possible that, even so, it is unreadable in that form by the player? Everybody else seems to breeze through the update. Is the US model unable to handle it?

I have had mine for 20 months and it stopped accepting any media to record. i did the upgrade to firmware 16 and still no joy.

I rang Toshiba and there excellent local repairer persuaded them to change the eprom and DVD Ram. Got it back on Friday and it works like a dream.

They charged me £30 for the repair and nothing for the £200 DVD-Ram.

Fair play to them.

Which service agent did you use? My unit used to accept TDK scratchproof, now it wont even accept those - even after a clean etc...

Well, After two years of trouble, I phoned Tosh UK servcice centre in Camberley. They were helpful and gave me the names of some recommended service agents in my area, who, if they found it was a faulty drive, would contact Tosh and they would see what they could do. However, the Customer Services Manager had the same unit with the same problems. He suggested using Tesco's own brand media. He was even kind enough to send me tow freebies - now that is above and beyond! Guess what? they work!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you Toshiba!

Well, After two years of trouble, I phoned Tosh UK servcice centre in Camberley. They were helpful and gave me the names of some recommended service agents in my area, who, if they found it was a faulty drive, would contact Tosh and they would see what they could do. However, the Customer Services Manager had the same unit with the same problems. He suggested using Tesco's own brand media. He was even kind enough to send me tow freebies - now that is above and beyond! Guess what? they work!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you Toshiba!

Interesting. Before I got in touch with the repairer they tried exactly the same with me. The Tesco DVd's did not work however.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom