Can the Philips DVDR75 convert NTSC to PAL?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gfrobe, May 14, 2004.

1. gfrobe

gfrobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know the DVDR75 will record a PAL signal from a PAL source and NTSC from a pure NTSC source but will it also convert? I know a lot of DVD Recorders can record either from the same source but I hear the Philips has additional NTSC / PAL capabilities. Can anyone advise what those are?

Thanks

2. jayss

jayss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi gfrobe,

I,ve just had a look through the manual and there doesn't seem to be anything about this in it - sorry.

3. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philips(or any other makes)cannot convert NTSC-PAL or vice versa.But Philips and Pioneer recorders are able to record PAL 60,the NTSC variant that is output from NTSC sources on 99% of UK vcr's,and some dvd players.Panasonic and other recorders need a pure NTSC source.The PAL 60 facility is mainly useful for copying NTSC vhs,as finding a vcr with pure NTSC output is next to impossible.

4. jnunn

jnunn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phelings

Do you know how I might find out what DVD recorders will record both native NTSC and PAL 60. The reason I ask is that I will be recording both PAL and NTSC VHS here in the U.K. via a U.K. VHS recorder which plays NTSC and when I return to Canada I would still like to record NTSC VHS I purchase/d there onto my U.K. DVD recorder and watch on a U.K. TV in which I intend to take there.
    Needless to say I am trying to keep my U.K. dvd's when I return.

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I am aware,PAL 60 recording is available on Philips and Pioneer recorders only.Both will also record pure NTSC.The Pioneer (and Panasonic for NTSC only) need a menu adjustment to record PAL 60 or NTSC.Philips will record NTSC without adjustment.
    Its worth noting that all these recorders will only record NTSC(or PAL 60) via Scart or s-video.None will record using their tuners.So if you go to the US,you won't simply be able to connect an aerial up-and Scarts aren't used in the US.Of course you will need an adaptor to change the 110V power supply in the US to or 240V.

6. jnunn

jnunn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this information explicitly indentified in the manuals for each of the manufactured DVD records?
    Do you know if this capability of recordings is available on sony or toshiba, since they are the models I was considering (GX3 for £350 and DR-1 for £280), or do you suggest I stick with the panasonic and phillips models. Any suggestions on what to get. Budget of about £400, and have a Thomson surround amp, and dvd player with Bose speakers.

I should be able to test, since I have a U.K. VCR which plays NTSC (presumably outputing in PAL6o) , and a U.S. camcorder which would output pure NTSC, although the only output direct from the camcorder is a cable with one lead with one plut to the camcoder and two out put with one marked as video and the other as audio - I'm not quit sure what mode this output is ie: s vidio, etc.

I would presume that any dealer would allow me to test prior to purchase??

7. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This info comes from personal experience.On another forum,someone else was told by UK Panasonic Customer Services that their dvd recorders would not record NTSC.Make from that what you will