Can the Onkyo NR609 output a composite video (Monitor OUT) along with HDMI out

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by 007india, Feb 10, 2014.

Tags:
  1. 007india

007india

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello All,

I have a Onkyo 609, TV, projector and DVD player.

1) Right now the DVD player is connected to AVR using HDMI as well as HDMI out from AVR to TV. Now I have a projector with HDMI. Now I would like to connect the HDMI out from the AVR to projector and Monitor OUT(composite video OUT) to TV by a single pin RCA cable. At a time, either TV or Projector alone will be used and not both at the same time. Is there a way I can see the analog video in TV and HDMI out to projector without using a HDMI splitter? No issues with the sound, which is output by the receiver to the connected speakers. I read the manual, sorry its not clear to me, if I will get a analog video out (composite video), I understand that the onscreen display of AVR also will not be displayed to TV.

I thought I can use the recording methods given in manual to connect my TV, keeping the projector with HDMI.

2) Also, when I connected the audio from projector to AVR via 2pin RCA cable, when I choose the input selector to the particular one, I didn't get the sound. I checked the sound from projector using head phones. In the input/output assign page, there is no option to choose Audio IN (present in VCR).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    Your receiver can not downconvert the HDMI input to the component output so you will not be able to view your HDMI connected DVD player using the component output from the receiver.
    What else do you have connected to the projector that you want sound from that is not already connected to the AVR?

3. 007india

007india

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok! I understand from your post that composite video OUT is not possible when the corresponding source is connected via HDMI.
    1)The user manual talks about recording while watching TV. Under what input connection configuration is that possible? can you clarify
    2) The projector has USB input through which video playback is possible. I would like to take the sound out from projector headphone out and send it to AVR Audio IN via RCA 2 pin cable. I can connect the RCA 2 pin to VCR audio IN of AVR, I selected VCR and assigned the input to analog (----). Still no sound from AVR. I can see 'ANALOG' word in AVR OSD.

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    I suspect you have either not selected the right analogue input or have not connected to an RCA input? Check the wiring since if the headphone socket works then you should get sound the way you have connected it. It will only be stereo sound but it should still give some sound.

5. 007india

007india

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    2) When I connect the RCA cable to the Audio IN against the VCR, I have selected the VCR options, went to setup and then to Input/output assign and HW setup. I have changed the input to (----) to free up the HDMI. The OSD in receiver also shows Analog, but no sound. I could see the option HDMI, component input and other one (i forgot), I also even tried to connect a video RCA pin from DVD player to component IN to see if the video is displayed on TV. Nops.

In the meantime I wil try with different set of cable. But the yellow cable in the 3pin RCA cable is working fine as I checked it by connecting DVD player to projector which displays video. But in that, the OSD menu of the DVD player is displayed in color but when I played a DVD, the color is B&W, but the same DVD in color when output is through HDMI.

6. Moggeth

Moggeth
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi PSM1! I have an Onkyo 609 too, with HDMI in (from a laptop) trying to send Component out (to an old 720p projector). Do you know if 'Component out' from 'HDMI in' is possible in any way/configuration with the 609? Or do you know which inputs can output to Component? Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  7. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    No AVR will convert a HDMI to a component output due to copyright protection I believe.
    The only inputs that will output to component would be component or composite.