• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can the Netgear EVA series be used without NAS/Windows Media Center

MrCynical

Established Member
I have a load of unprotected WMV and MPEG files I want to be able to play on my LG flat panel. Unfortunately at the moment the only way I can do that is to pick a few files at a time to copy from my PC to a usb stick, and watch them on my X360. What I'd like to be able to do is plug an external hard drive into a devuce, and have that 'somethingorother' allow me to browse all my media files from my TV. The Netgear EVA (700 and 8000) have caught my eye - does anyone have either of these and do they work well when used in this way (ie their only files are on a locally-connected external HD, no Windows Media Center connection or anything)?

Should also add that the reason I'm looking at these is that I don't want a full-fledged media centre PC, both for cost and heat reasons.

Zaxx

Standard Member
Can the Netgear EVA series be used without NAS/Windows Media Center

Yes, you can just plug an external drive into the EVA's USB socket.

Don't consider the EVA700 the EVA8000 is the way to go.

With the latest hardware it plays everything that I can throw at it.

Go to the EVA support forum and read the posts.

Register for the beta forum to read even more.

Netgear EVA 8000 forum:-

http://forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom