Can the LG CX Display Volume Numbers while using eARC?

seanmcnally

Novice Member
I've been trying to wade through anecdotal evidence, and not finding much information. Any help greatly appreciated.

I'm aware that when you connect an eARC soundbar or amplifier to the TV, you can use HDMI-CEC (called Simplink on the LG CX) to control the device's volume. On the TV, you see an on screen overlay that will indicate + or -, showing that you've either increased or decreased the external sound device's volume. However, the numerical volume level of the connected device is not shown, only a plus or minus.

I know that reporting the level is possible with HDMI as other TVs are capable of it. Some have suggested that Onkyo amplifiers report sound level on the TV screen, others suggest that connecting a B&O sound system via ethernet (???) works. Others say that LG's implementation of eARC doesn't support this, and it's impossible with their hardware.

My question is, has anyone successfully connected an LG CX TV to a sound system that will report numerical volume level on the TV's OSD?

Thanks!

Broadsword

It works for me through eARC connected to my Sony 790 amp. I get the Sonys volume indicator come up when I change volume. But that’s using my harmony so it’s the amps volume control it’s using rather than the TV remote volume buttons. Not sure if that helps or not. It works when I have devices connected through the amp and also direct to the TV.

Last edited:

CaroleBaskin

Distinguished Member
I’ve not seen volume numbers on the CX when using eARC with an AVR. Only the indicators of volume direction as you say.

rebel_scum

Distinguished Member
Volume + or - in my experience:
YU2nCvRl.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom