Can the LFE channel by used as a full range channel and other odd questions.

Dr Pheelgood

Novice Member
Howdy all,

I am trying to use some inexpensive 7.1 Surround Sound USB external sound "cards" ($30 -StarTech.com 7.1 USB Sound Card - External Sound Card for Laptop with SPDIF Digital Audio - Sound Card for PC - Silver (ICUSBAUDIO7D ) to output multiple, synchronized full range (100-16k 'ish, good sound not great sound) audio tracks from an old computer using a player like VLC. So far I've been able to create a 5.1 stream using Adobe Audition and Premiere Pro to create a five channels of full range audio and one muffled LFE channel playing through VLC.

In trying to increase the number of full range channels one step at a time, I'm trying to understand where the LFE limited bandwidth is coming from and can it be turned off in order to get an additional full range channel. Anybody know?

Next, I can only encode a 5.1 stream using Adobe products because that's all they can do. Does anyone know of a 7.1 encoding plugin for Adobe Audition or Audacity? Are there any stand-alone, inexpensive audio editors/encoders out there that can create a 7.1 stream?

The final experiment will be to see if I can install two or more of the StarTech external soundcards on the same computer (Assuming the computer is powerful enough to handle this) and either using multiple instances of VLC sending audio channels to separate soundcards or if VLC or another piece of software can be directed or routed to send the software players channels to specific soundcards. Something like channels 1 -5 are routed to soundcard 1 and channels 6 - 10 are routed to soundcard 2 and so on.

I think I'm stuck using something like the StarTech 7.1 "soundcard", because they are inexpensive and work with older, and therefore free or very inexpensive computers. I'm aware of larger DAW interfaces like the Scarlett 18i20 but they are much more expensive, even though they can provide more channels they are out of my budget.

Thank you for reading this far and I hope I was clear in what I'm trying to do,

Dr Pheelgood

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom