1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can the GX3 record a NTSC signal?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by edwinbradford, Jan 22, 2004.

1. edwinbradford

edwinbradford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just about to buy a Sony GX3 and then discovered in the specs it only records PAL and SECAM. I want to record footage from my Video Game Consoles which are all modded to play NTSC games and output NTSC and PAL signals depending on which game I insert.

This makes it useless for the task doesn't it? I want RGB in, RGB out, NTSC and PAL input, DVD-RW and DVD-R. I don't think there's a machine that does it unless someone corrects me or the GX3 will record the NTSC signal. Can someone help me? Anyone know?

2. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It WONT record NTSC only PAL or SECAM like you said.
    It does has a RGB input though so should you not be able to "record" the Xbox if this has a RGB output?
    As far as I knew RGB negates the issue of the differece between PAL/NTSC doesn't it,I had a Philips TV that didn't do NTSC on region1 dvd but on RGB it was fine.

3. edwinbradford

edwinbradford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, don't know really. I'm at the limit of my knowledge here.

4. Miles@9

Miles@9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Edwinbradford

Some DVD recorders will record what ever system you give them, Pal or NTSC. I know the Philips recorders do this. If it's not in the Sony's spec I'd look into it a bit more just to confirm.

Pal / NTSC is still an issue whatever conection you're using, be it compsite, S-VHS, or component, whether RGB or YUV. You still have the differance between Pal 625 lines and NTSC 525 lines.

Miles.

5. edwinbradford

edwinbradford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Miles, that post has helped me to think through it a bit. If it only records to PAL but receives an NTSC signal then it can't work on that model, the GX3, otherwise it would have to convert the signal. I know you're right about some models burning NTSC and PAL disks. Yep, that's answered it for me. I rang Sony up and asked them and they said it wouldn't do it too. I wasn't completely convinced because I was talking to sales and not technical but I think that's it. It's a no can do with the GX3. Sorry Sony, sale lost.