can the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude send Dolby True HD to my AMP for blueray and HD

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by jimbo11, Jan 17, 2008.

1. jimbo11

jimbo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have a blue ray and HD DVD combo drive so i can watch movies on my PC. I all so have the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 Sound Card .

Am I able to get the full benefits of HD sound ?? I have it connected to my AMP via coaxial.

I have no idea as thought I would need a sound card with HDMI ?

Any help is appreciated !

2. macvaio

macvaio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The SPDIF on the Prelude supports upto 25MB/S bandwidth so in theory yes it does support True HD and DTS HD through SPDIF but there is no software which outputs these via SPDIF, for now you will need to use Analogue connections from your Prelude to your AMP to get HD audio.

Auzentech have just announced at CES they are bringing out a HDMI addon board for the Prelude quater 1 of this year, so you will then be able to output HD audio directly to your HDMI Amp as soon as software allows it

3. jimbo11

jimbo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks mate ! by me using Analogue connections thou I am not getting the full HD Audio thou am I as Analogue is limited isn't it ?

4. dogbert

dogbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I'm sorry, this statement is marketing ********. The maximum data rate for 192kHz at 24bit is 4608kBit/s which is well below the stated 25 Mbit/s. These limitations arise from the hardware and not from the software. It's not a big challenge for software to squirt out 25 MBit/s to some hardware on the PCI bus.
    But this just proves once again that the kind of engineering which takes place at Auzentech isn't very sophisticated.

5. macvaio

macvaio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The reason software does not output True HD etc via SPDIF is because they cant output HD sound without protection over a digital protection, they are not allowed,

And of course you know thats marketing ******** i suppose you made the card yourself lol :)

The Prelude is the best soundcard on the market today without a doubt, and when combined with the HDMI addon, it will be the best solution for HD sound on PCs

6. macvaio

macvaio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I dont yet have a HD drive on my HTPC (ill be getting one soon) so i cant test this, alot of people are reporting that Power DVD does downsample HD sound even over analogue, because they have no solution to protect the sound at the moment and cannot send any HD sound without some sort of encryption.

This will change either when they update there player in the future or some other software company brings out new software

Hopefully soon

7. dogbert

dogbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    even if you manage to extract the full-blown HD audio streams from HDDVDs / bluray discs which has been successfully demonstrated and use open source software which is free from such restraints, you can't use the SPDIF port for outputting the data - the card simply hasn't got the hardware capabilities.

<fanboy gibberish>
    </fanboy gibberish>

8. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    nothing has the hardware capbilities to do that. its not as if its a limitation of that card only.

9. Gixxerblade

Gixxerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The last time I looked the majority (60%) of film soundtracks were being recorded at 16bit 48khz the rest at 24bit 48khz this information is from Wikipedia in November so it might have changed.

If we assume 8 channels 7.1 (majority are still 5.1) then that equates to 24 x 48000 x 8 which is 9.2mbps. I haven't seen anywhere in the spdif specification that says it can't handle this. If Auzentech are claiming 25mbps then they appear to have more than enough bandwidth for current audio requirements.
    I also thought TrueHD was a variable bit rate but given it is lossless compressed it isn't going to be higher than 9.2mbps for 8 channels at 24/48?

I thought PDVD downsampled for copyright issues but they goofed up by also imposing the restriction over analog?
    I'm happy to be updated/educated on this complicated (for me) subject although I'm still more than happy with DD/DTS and L7 Film via spdif coaxial.

10. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    the spdif standard does not allow for multi channel pcm. if the card could send out lpcm (somehoe, lets forget that it cant be done legally without encryption anyway) then there'd still be nothing that would accept that signal.

11. dogbert

dogbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    in theory, the SPDIF can very well be used for transmitting uncompressed multi-channel streams, but as far as I know, there's not a single consumer device out there which can send or receive such a stream. hence auzentech's claim that the prelude's spdif hardware is capable of transmitting 25MBps belongs into the world of fantasy, not reality.

even if they would allow the full-blown stream to be output over analog, you wouldn't hear it - the extra gain would be drown in your computer's noise.

12. Gixxerblade

Gixxerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Dogbert
    Would that be the case with a card such as an Asus Xonar with its hefty noise shield?

James
    I was thinking of TrueHD and DTS-HD MA via bitstream when I quoted the figures i.e. they are maximum bit rates that would be needed currently for lossless. If we take Apple lossless the file sizes are around half of pcm. I don't know what the sizes are for compressed hd audio but in theory if a receiver or processor could accept output from a PC via spdif then spdif in itself isn't the problem?

Is there a reason why e.g. TrueHD couldn't be sent via bitstream via spdif apart from no one makes a receiver or processor and if not is there a gap in the market for PC users who want to keep their existing soundcards and send hd bitstream via spdif or is the future hdmi full stop?

Is the signal to noise ratio really so bad over analog?
    Does the new Arcsoft software suffer the same restrictions as PowerDVD as regards downsampling, and are there any other drawbacks such as stereo only over hdmi ?

13. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    it cant be done because the3re is no encrption methods available over spdif, hense the move to hdmi.

14. Prism666

Prism666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Also, Cyberlink reckon they downgrade soundtracks recorded at 24bit to 16it not because of the external encryption issue but because there is no way of protecting the content as its sent internally to the soundcard. Unless Auzentech and Cyberlink are working together on this issue I still can't see 24bit sound being a possibility. Cyberlink have said they are working with Realtek to create some form of solution.

I'll be quite honest though and say I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. I own over 20 HD movies now and not one comes with a 24bit soundtrack, whereas about half have TrueHD 16bit

However, the sound you get from the analogues on the Auzentech should be very decent TrueHD anyway so if your amp has 8 analogue inputs then you are good to go. You may well find that you get better quality converting to analogue with the soundcard rather than doing it in the amp - depending on your quality of amp of course.

15. dogbert

dogbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    yes - there's an excellent path for electrical noise for which the shield is without effect: the signal and especially the power lines of the PCI bus.