Can the Apple Upgrade program be beaten?

Geoggy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've pre-ordered the 12 pro on the Apple upgrade program, which I have been on for the last 3 years.

I like the new handset every year, the Applecare+ cover (never used it though) and I can use my NHS discount for a Sim only contract with EE. So I probably pay about £75 a month with the payment to Barclays and to EE.

I don't feel massively comfortable this year going ot the Apple store to do the upgrade. I am an ex shielder and can't see how it won't feel uncomfortable on launch weekend given how busy the store will be.

So I have been looking at alternatives. Vodafone want £74 with £29 upfront for unlimited data and minutes.

They also do an upgrade every year to the new handset and it will get delivered without having to risk Apple store.

Am I missing anything? Anyone else got a plan they are impressed with / going for?

Thanks.

It sounds like your only concern here, is going in to a shop to collect the item... So.....

Unless a third party can supply Applecare+ (or you can buy it separately -- you might be able to buy it via the phone itself), I would say not. When it comes to Apple, third party insurance, is NOT anything like Applecare+, to the point its useless.

Having a toddle who likes to throw my phone like an NFL football, means for me, Applecare+ is an absolute must.

Applecare+ is for me, the sole reason to buy from Apple.

Whilst the Upgrade Programme requires you to go to store, you can get the iPhone for the same price, OFF 'Upgrade Program' by simply buying it from the Apple website. The ONLY difference in doing this, is that the Upgrade Program is £69 Upfront, followed by 20 monthly payments of X. Whereas buying it from the Web Store, with 0%, is 24 months at X, with no upfront. The total outlay is the same, but you're paying over an extra 4 months -- and more importantly, you can get delivery.

I’ve just ordered via Vodafone.

Applecare + is a loss but better than risking Covid. Got my NHS discount as well so £29 upfront and £67.15 a month for unlimited max 5g data and best speeds.

I pay £12.50 (after cashback) for unlimited Voda 5G (which pains me as I hate Voda) and have preordered the 256gb Pro for £56 a month, total £68 inc Apple care.

I’ve no discount/perks/benefits. Did you get a deal?!

I pay £12.50 (after cashback) for unlimited Voda 5G (which pains me as I hate Voda) and have preordered the 256gb Pro for £56 a month, total £68 inc Apple care.

I’ve no discount/perks/benefits. Did you get a deal?!

deal I got posted above on the Vodafone annual iPhone upgrade plan

Don't know why you’re so concerned about going into an Apple store.
They’re better than most when it comes to socially distancing and sanitising.
My wife's XR had a faint scratch/crack on it's screen and we made an appointment in late August for the Genius bar at the Braehead, Glasgow branch. There was a cordoned off line at the entrance and an employee took everyone’s temperature and you couldn't just walk in. He also ensured everyone used the hand sanitiser at the door.
Once in the store there was a waiting line and another employee took your appointment details and showed you to a waiting area all the while keeping everyone 2M apart.
My wife had Applecare+ so it was a case of paying the £25 excess and leaving the phone with them for an hour while we did a bit of shopping then returning to collect her phone with new screen fitted.
I will have no fears when I go mid November to check over and probably upgrade my own XS Max to the 12 Pro Max.

Don't know why you’re so concerned about going into an Apple store.
They’re better than most when it comes to socially distancing and sanitising.
My wife's XR had a faint scratch/crack on it's screen and we made an appointment in late August for the Genius bar at the Braehead, Glasgow branch. There was a cordoned off line at the entrance and an employee took everyone’s temperature and you couldn't just walk in. He also ensured everyone used the hand sanitiser at the door.
Once in the store there was a waiting line and another employee took your appointment details and showed you to a waiting area all the while keeping everyone 2M apart.
My wife had Applecare+ so it was a case of paying the £25 excess and leaving the phone with them for an hour while we did a bit of shopping then returning to collect her phone with new screen fitted.
I will have no fears when I go mid November to check over and probably upgrade my own XS Max to the 12 Pro Max.

because on launch weeks for a new iPhone it’s been grim

Yes during normal years before Covid-19 but the shops won't allow it to be “grim” this year and I imagine numbers will be strictly controlled.

What I suspect might happen is they will close the store to general ‘browsing’ & only allow people with timed appointment slots.
That will both minimise the number of people going into the store & also avoid big crowds building up.

False alarm. Ordered 2 phones. Both supposedly for tomorrow.

Only 1 despatched other one now showing as 3-4 weeks. Sod that. Thankfully I didn’t cancel my Apple reservation so it’s back to Plan A

Damn I checked mine and it says the same. Looking on vodas forums and there are quite a few ppl in the same not. Ahh well might have to cancel this and go back to apple at least they give u a date...

All is well that ends well.

Upgraded in the Apple store this morning. Absolutely brilliant experience. Store empty, felt very safe.

Wish I had never gone near Vodafone. Will be glad when I’ve ported all the family away from them so I never have to deal with them again.

If you are upgrading on the Apple program make sure you take the trade in £500 and not the straight swap option. I owed £412 and they were just going to pocket the difference. £500 going straight into my account then I’ll settle loan with Barclays.

Congrats, did you make an appointment ?

got a phone call from Vodafone yesterday apologising about not being able to fulfil the order and how they are giving a power bank as a gift . Asked when to expect and looks to be a month away! Might just cancel altogether and stick with my X until these become more available

Yes I pre ordered them on the day they went live. 9-9.15 slot. Arrived 8.40 out in 20 minutes.

Congrats, did you make an appointment ?

got a phone call from Vodafone yesterday apologising about not being able to fulfil the order and how they are giving a power bank as a gift . Asked when to expect and looks to be a month away! Might just cancel altogether and stick with my X until these become more available

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom