can the 360 upscale?

gz52dl

Standard Member
hi, sorry if its already been asked but i searched and could not come up with a suitable answer.

I have a samsung le32r73 TV and i have been watching my dvd through my samsung dvd player. i was looking to buy a samsung upsclaing dvd player that outputs to 720p but then someone said that my xbox already will do that? i do not have the hd dvd player for the 360. i have my 360 connected to my tv via component connection.

will be it worth buying a upscaler? or should i be watching dvds through my 360

thanks in advance

crunchman

Unfortunately premium and core consoles can only upscale DVDs over VGA.

No DVD players will be able to upscale over component because of some protection malarky.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
A quick search shows this...

VGA:

* HD DVD - 1080p resolution and all others
* DVD - Upscaled as high as 1080p resolution and all others
* Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games in the future

Component:

* HD DVD - 1080i resolution maximum, limited by AACS
* DVD - Upscaled to 480p maximum, limited by CSS
* Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games in the future

Moogle

Distinguished Member

Desmo

Distinguished Member
It is correct mate ...... 360 will onlu upscale via vga or hdmi...... will only output standard 480p over component.
Yep. I was thinking of something else, hence why I corrected my post :)
Surprised you managed to get the quote in in time :D

Indiana Jones

No DVD players will be able to upscale over component because of some protection malarky.

Acually there are afew DVD players out there that will allow you to upscale over Component, my Helios for example.

tapzilla2k

Distinguished Member
Acually there are afew DVD players out there that will allow you to upscale over Component, my Helios for example.

My samsung dvd player also upscales over component, though that was more to do with Samsung making it easy to overcome the HDCP stuff with a remote control hack (i think they got into trouble for it).

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom