Can subwoofers be too large for a room? Output, rather than physical size.

All useful input, thanks.

I keep going back to the Rhythmik E15 as it seems to tick all boxes (except price !). I’m also not sure if I’ve fallen for the marketing but I quite like the idea of a servo sub. Their website suggests it’s highly musical and the specs to say it goes low and loud too.

The PSA S1512 is on the list, but the review makes it sound a bit brash for music.

So, I’m just trying to get some funds together then I’ll ask for serious feedback on my shortlist 👍🏼

All useful input, thanks.

I keep going back to the Rhythmik E15 as it seems to tick all boxes (except price !). I’m also not sure if I’ve fallen for the marketing but I quite like the idea of a servo sub. Their website suggests it’s highly musical and the specs to say it goes low and loud too.

The PSA S1512 is on the list, but the review makes it sound a bit brash for music.

So, I’m just trying to get some funds together then I’ll ask for serious feedback on my shortlist 👍🏼
Be aware that Rythmik say they no longer sell to the UK. No harm in contacting them to ask though I suppose.

Do you have a means of adjusting time delays and applying EQ?

Last edited:
Be aware that Rythmik say they no longer sell to the UK. No harm in contacting them to ask though I suppose.

Do you have a means of adjusting time delays and applying EQ?
Oh, I didn’t realise they weren’t selling to the UK. I’ll make enquiries when I’ve rustled up some money.. 2nd on my shortlist is the PSA 1512 (in ash black). I’d like the SB3000/SB4000 if it wasn’t for the metal grille.

I use a Yamaha AVR. Time delay would be distance(?) and I use the amp’s parametric EQ. I’ve not taken the plunge with REW yet, so have currently EQ’d by ear to give an even response in each listening positon.

This one;

Hmm, interesting, at this level I'd expect these subs to perform exceptionally well both for movies and music with calibration and integration being the biggest obstacle to a refined sound.

I'd add REW and a quality USB mic to your shopping list so you can maximise the performance of whatever sub you settle on.

Hmm, interesting, at this level I'd expect these subs to perform exceptionally well both for movies and music with calibration and integration being the biggest obstacle to a refined sound.
My thoughts too, and I'd add that I am personally very sceptical of the value of subjective reviews that don't try to control for such things.

@Smithster I very happily use an S1510 for music but I have not heard an S1512. My strong suspicion is that you're very unlikely to find the latter lacking if positioned/integrated well and with EQ applied to match your tastes. I'd guess @Rickyj at Kalibrate has a demo model you could borrow to find out for yourself if you're not in a rush.

My thoughts too, and I'd add that I am personally very sceptical of the value of subjective reviews that don't try to control for such things.

Exactly. Frankly its getting a little repetitive. For instance, got a fella named Steve Guttenberg on YouTube who tested out the new SVS 3000 Micro sub and in passing mentioned the Kef KC62 to be more "nimble". Folks have really taken this to mean its more "musical". I get it because it reinforces some cognitive biases as often more expensive subs and smaller drivers are (often mistakenly) considered to be "faster" thus have better transient response/ timing.

Totally overlooked is that at the beginning of the review he does state he spent hardly any time setting them up properly, no EQ, HPF and not even a crossover. What about time alignment? None! Just plug it in, play it by ear and hope for the best. Really does these products a disservice and of course the talking points of marketing departments will be regurgitated as facts.

Interesting; I’ve been thinking the same. I can shift my subs, tweak the gain, crossover, low pass filter, EQ my subs, EQ my mains, and get very different results, and from seat to seat.

I’ve not tried since having my AVR (only last year) l, but I could run my sub using the speaker level inputs for music on the amp’s 2nd zone, and LFE for movies. Again, another variable..

It does make me wonder, with so much adjustability, do reviewers really have them set up perfectly when reviewing?

@Smithster I very happily use an S1510 for music but I have not heard an S1512. My strong suspicion is that you're very unlikely to find the latter lacking if positioned/integrated well and with EQ applied to match your tastes. I'd guess @Rickyj at Kalibrate has a demo model you could borrow to find out for yourself if you're not in a rush.

Thanks for the advice. That’s great to hear about your S1510. I’d definitely be interested in hearing the S1512, either at a demo in store or home trial. Not in a great hurry

Thanks

Damm I put 1400 squids into a diy 18 " sub and its too big for my room and its so slow with music , back to the drawing board.Oh know I have a volume control headroom a plenty and I'm off to check my slow bass 🙄

I've been using an S1512DF since October around 50% music (spotify & vinyls) & 50% tv/movies. I am very happy with its movie performance and is equally just as good musically.
IMG_20210327_105749589.jpg

I've been using an S1512DF since October around 50% music (spotify & vinyls) & 50% tv/movies. I am very happy with its movie performance and is equally just as good musically. View attachment 1483442
That’s just music to my ears, because I’m leaning towards the S1512 now....

I saw a YouTube review as well for the DF and he rated it highly too

Just to add to your original question my room is 3.6x3.6x2.4
And I have one pb4000 placed in the centre of the wall adjacent to the M.L.P volume level is normally at -10 on the sub for music and movies and it hits hard and deep you hear and feel the low end stuff too bought mine second hand two year old for £700 so got a real bargain. Hope this helps. 🧐

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom