Can speakers from Sony DAVS500 be used with proper seperates?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Ian Vinten, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Ian Vinten

Ian Vinten
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My mum has a Sony DAVS500 system which has served her well but is begining to play up. Rather than get it fixed I've explained to her the benefits of seperates and she seems keen :)

I've recommended her a Denon 1906 AMP and an entry level DVD Recorder but the budget isn't gonna stretch much further than that.

Is there any reason why the DAVS 500 speakers won't work with this set up?

2. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Hello Ian,

check the impedance of the speakers (ohms), if it is 8 or more, then it is fine. The maximum power handling is also important, but not as much. Anyway, they probably won't handle all power that the new amp can deliver, and you will notice that in the form of distorsion. In that case, turn that volume knob down. Distorsion over prolongued periods of time (and not so long) will damage the speakers.

The other possibility (I doubt it, but I did not check it) is that the speakers are "power hungry", that is, that the amp won't deliver enough "juice"... Then you might damage your equipment.

Regarding the plugs, it might be that the speakers have some sort of special plug for the amp... You won't need it/be able to use it with the denon, just bare cable is fine (cut the plug off).

The denon is a great amp, you may build a good sounding system around it... Next step will be the front speakers (and center if you need to use it), and after that I'd go for a better player (you can find also good denon dvd players for a reasonable price). The rear speakers and subwoofer are less important... The subwoofer will give you an extra wow factor, and it adds body to both music and movies, but you can live without it for a while. The rear speakers can be upgraded much later on (unless you are into the multichannel music thing...)

I hope this helps.
    Best regards,

Alberto