Can speaker grills be left off

tigermad

Distinguished Member
Ok this may be one of my more stupid questions :rolleyes:

Is it ok to leave speaker grills off? Are they just there to protect the mechanisms from prodding fingers etc? Its just that in photos they never have them on and I hope to leave mine off on my new MA BR series speakers. :D

Badger0-0

Yep, no problem mate :smashin:
Some people say they are actually better with them left off.

kjd67

Standard Member
the question is 'Do you you have little people running around with prodding fingers'. if not then leave them off, sound does improve. but if the answer is yes then take them off when listening, then replace.;)

kjd67

Standard Member
PS a question is not stupid if you don't have the answer:rotfl:

MattZani

Banned
if a finger prods it, and the card like stuff goes inwards, it can bugger the sounds up! (apparently)

Matt

tigermad

Distinguished Member
the question is 'Do you you have little people running around with prodding fingers'. if not then leave them off, sound does improve. but if the answer is yes then take them off when listening, then replace.;)
Its not the little uns I am worried about its my hubby with his fingers poking every crevice he can find. ;)

Badger0-0

Its not the little uns I am worried about its my hubby with his fingers poking every crevice he can find. ;)
I thought we were talking about speakers :blush:

Ahem,

Yeah, they're designed to keep fingers out.
Personally, I can't tell the difference if they're on or not, but that's most likely down to my crap ears :(

Hamslay

Novice Member
I run all my MA BR speakers with the grilles off as they look so much better. When I got the speakers I sat down my 3-year old and lectured him about not touching Daddy's speakers. Ever. Or else. So far not a single fingerprint! :D

We do have some friends who have a couple of little monsters who were due to visit soon, but I told them that the lounge was a no-monster zone, and that we'd visit them instead! Forgot they live 250 miles away now. :eek:

tigermad

Distinguished Member
I run all my MA BR speakers with the grilles off as they look so much better. When I got the speakers I sat down my 3-year old and lectured him about not touching Daddy's speakers. Ever. Or else. So far not a single fingerprint! :D

We do have some friends who have a couple of little monsters who were due to visit soon, but I told them that the lounge was a no-monster zone, and that we'd visit them instead! Forgot they live 250 miles away now. :eek:
Cheers.

Did you run your speakers in?
Its says in the BR5 manual you have to run them at half volume for over 50 hours. Thats going to be a pain!
Or do some reverse wiring malarky and have the speakers standing face to face.

I have reverted back to my plasma speakers until my new ones arrive and boy they are rubbish after listening to the kef eggs!

Thekop

Novice Member
Apart from probing fingers, I wouldn't recommend leaving the grills off if you're a smoker either, as nicotene could destroy the driver surrounds over a period of time.

That happened to a pair of Snell Type J/2's speakers i had a few years ago :(

Hamslay

Novice Member
Cheers.

Did you run your speakers in?
Its says in the BR5 manual you have to run them at half volume for over 50 hours. Thats going to be a pain!
Or do some reverse wiring malarky and have the speakers standing face to face.

I have reverted back to my plasma speakers until my new ones arrive and boy they are rubbish after listening to the kef eggs!
I just played various music CDs at moderate volumes through all 5 new speakers for about 8 hours a day for the 1st week. I didn't hear any change over time, but I did decide to follow the guidelines before I cranked them up.

tigermad

Distinguished Member
I just played various music CDs at moderate volumes through all 5 new speakers for about 8 hours a day for the 1st week. I didn't hear any change over time, but I did decide to follow the guidelines before I cranked them up.

Thanks

I will play sky tv through them at a moderate volume while I am not there during the day then I will have to watch tv using them at a moderate volume in the evening. I hope my amp doesnt blow up while I am at work :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom