Can Sony sell 5 million PS4's by April 2014?

hodg100

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Company uses TGS to make bullish prediction

During their keynote speech at the Tokyo Game Show, Sony has revealed that they expect to shift 5 million PlayStation 4 consoles by the end of the next financial year.

To give that number some perspective, its predecessor, the PS3, sold 3.3 million units from its launch in November 2006 launch to the March 31, 2007, financial year end.

Clearly Sony has been buoyed by the largely positive public reaction to the PS4's announcement, in stark contrast to the PR nightmare Microsoft brought on itself with their handling of the Xbox One launch, thus far. Still, with the XB1, more or less, releasing simultaneously with Sony's latest, 5 million does sound perhaps a tad ambitious and would surely propel them in to a commanding early lead over Microsoft.

attachment.php

In other news from TGS, Sony confirmed that the the PS4 camera will, just like Kinect, support both voice and gesture controls. This came as absolutely no great shock but it was good to learn that the console's HDMI output will allow for game capture. The PS3 HDMI output was encrypted by HDCP, meaning it was only possible to get game footage via a component output. Naturally HDCP will remain in place when the PS4 is playing a movie.

Can Sony shift 5 million PS4's by the end of March 2014? Time will tell.

Attachments

• tgs.jpg
    tgs.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 671
I think they've got a really good chance of hitting that, if not surpassing it. They've established a significant lead on MS in the PR stakes - the average joe seems convinced that Sony have made a machine for gamers whereas MS haven't. Also the cumulative impact of "what are my mates getting?" will be greater now than in any previous generation, which is why I think there's such a good chance that Sony will meet this target.

I'll be sticking with the Xbox One until Sony bring out some games for the PS4 that I want to play.

I think it's a easy target to hit if you look at preorder figures for the ps4. I've never bought a console at launch but there I was putting down my £20 deposit to receive my console on day one.

Also the time between current gen and next gen has been a long haul, so I think people are eager to see what's on offer.

They will hit that without a doubt. Xbox has got sort of a bad name since the first introduction
and Sony is going to do well because of that.

I see both Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty Ghost will run natively 1080p on the PS4 and upscaled 720p on the Xbox one. In reality it might not mean much but from a PR perspective this is another massive hit for PS4. People don't often look behind the numbers or the reality of not much difference, they just look at the headline and make a judgement on that.

They could shift that amount

BF4 runs at 900p on PS4. But in a way that just supports your argument, people just glance at the numbers. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom