Can Sony HXD890 record & play DVD-RW (VR)?

captainpacific

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a DVD recorder for a new room set up. My short list is Sony RDR HXD890 or Pioneer DVR-560HX. From what I've read so far, I'm guessing these are pretty similar machines. I have only ever used Pioneer DVD machines so far, so I believe I know what to expect from the 560HX.

The Sony web site states that the 890 records and plays DVD-R (VR) but it does not include the same VR statement for DVD-RW. Does anyone know if that means it won't handle DVD-RW VR? Any real-life experiences would be very useful.

Also, if these 2 machines were the same price, I would be interested to know which one you would go for and why.

the sony will play and record to -R , -RW , +R and +RW single layer disks

the sony is made by pioneer so most ppl would buy the cheapest

The Sony web site states that the 890 records and plays DVD-R (VR) but it does not include the same VR statement for DVD-RW. Does anyone know if that means it won't handle DVD-RW VR? Any real-life experiences would be very useful.

Also, if these 2 machines were the same price, I would be interested to know which one you would go for and why.

The 890 can play and record in Video Mode or VR mode on DVD-RW's

As implied above, by ramjet, these are very similar machines based on the same engine.

The Pioneer machines tend to be generally less restrictive and more flexible, for example: permitting the copying of DivX from a PC or memory store to be copied to the HDD which is not possible on the Sony.

It would be your personal choice whether you think the price premium usually attached to the Pioneer machine is worth it, for that additional flexibility.

Yes, but will it play and record in VR mode on DVD-RW as well as on the claimed DVD-R. The specs do not claim VR mode for DVD-RW, and the Sony people only seem able to read what I can read, so I am hoping to get some real evidence from real users.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom