Can sonicstage backup the library in an external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Castar, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Castar

Castar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I was thinking of converting my cds in either mp3/atra3+ so that I'm not dependent on my CDs (many in Greece, many in England). Anyway, I am thinking of buying an external hard drive for this purpose and apart from the (serious) decision of format, I was wondering If I can really backup my library in the HDD, or even better have the whole library in the external hard drive?

Thanks.

2. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Rip your CD's to an external USB2 hard disk, then import them into Sonicstage. Convert to Atrac when you transfer to Walkman. works for me.

Then if and when you change your PC you only have to re-import the MP3's back into SonicStage rather than re-rip all your CD's

3. Castar

Castar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Uridium. Now I can buy the HDD in peace. I know that you're right about converting to mp3, but that gapless thingy... it's just way too good. Hard choice...

4. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Uridium, good advice but it *may* not work. I annot get SonicStage to rip directly to my external USB HD, despite a zillion various attempts (incl. SS reinstalls, updates/downdates, new drivers, etc.). SS did not like sending things to an external HD (and I'm using a newer Thinkpad laptop). SS also won't backup my collection to an external HD, no matter what I've tried. It keeps freezing up.

So yes, it *should* work but it may not work at all. Has anyone actually done this successfully?