Can someone spec me a cheapish works pc?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Nokmondoo, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Nokmondoo

Nokmondoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Hi, i'm helping my bro-in-law out. He usually gets his office pc's built & installed buy someone but i think he's getting his pants pulled down (so to speak). Was quoted £2000 for a pentium D 2.6 based pc. What sort of spec would do for an office pc? Also, does anyone know if each pc in the office has to have its own copy/ serial number for each ms windows and ms office installed? Seems daft buying ms office 5 times to me? Thanks for any help :smashin:

2. DickieMoules

DickieMoules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What sort of office?

If it's just for Office type products, such as word, excel, powerpoint etc.... then to be honest, you're just looking at a basic Dell package such as the Dimension E520 at £339 Standard package, or if he wants a bit more in it (which is advisable for the future) then the Dimension E520 at £469 standard package or Dimension 9200 at £699 standard package.

You should be able to contact Dell business and get some sort of deal on 5 units and talk about the licence issue and installations you want on the PC's.

£2000 is a huge amount of dosh for a works PC unless you're using it for 3D packages or Adobe type products such as Photoshop and After Effects. :eek:

What was the full spec on the PC that was quoted at £2000 ?

3. Stiggy

Stiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,043
    Dell Outlet UK will sell you a workhorse PC for £300.

Yes, you will have to buy a copy of Microsoft Office for each PC - sorry! If you want you can use OpenOffice which is free and more than adequate for general use.

4. madgibbon

madgibbon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £2000 does seem quite a bit of a PC being used in an office. However is does depend the spec and what it's being used form. This fee may also included a 'Managed Service' so to speak. I provide IT support for a large insurance company and we pay quite a bit for our PC's. However if the PC was to fail we are garenteed a replacement with 24 hours, this is valid for 4 years after this PC was purchased.

A PC being used for word processing, spreadsheets, email etc could be built for £300 ish.