1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone set me straight ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by LTJ, May 11, 2005.

1. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all. I've a couple of questions to pose, here goes.

1) I'm running sky rgb into the sweet spot capture card (lovely device) with Dscaler. The pc is asus MB athlon 3000xp sapphire radeon 6600xt. this then feeds via vag a panasonic ae100e projector, so far i've been more then happy with the improvement it gave. Another reason was using powerstrip I've been able to match the panny's native resolution of 856 x 480 (thanks Hoglet)
    The other day I decided to try 1024 x 768 and it seems better. Should this be the case? If this is so should I try for a higher resolution ?

2) I read a lot about proggresive scan and interlaced with terms like 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Now does dscaler do all this automatically if you chose various settings in the deinterlace menu? I say this because when I use the many settings like tomscomp or whatever it seems to make no difference whatsoever

3) will descaler let me choose between progressive and interlace if so how is ot done?

Okay thanks for your time
    Cheers
    Lawrence

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm surprised you're seeing an improved PQ by feeding the pj a higher resolution than native as compared with native, though like all things believe your eyes over theory. :)

If your display was a higher resolution than the source then that would be different, there are good reasons for up-scaling greater than native and letting the display down-scale, but clearly that isn't applicable here.

It's the video card that's responsible for outputting progressive or interlaced, unless you explicitly select an interlaced desktop resolution then you'll get progressive. Internally the signal will always be generated progressive since that's the way the video card renderer works, interlacing in an extra step if required.

AFAIK there is now way to obtain non-detinerlaced output from a software DVD player.

3. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Robin/KraGorn, as you may have seen in another active thread on resolution Sniffer has experienced the same thing, a bettr PQ. I was really pleased with the step up in PQ when first setting up power strip and pixel mapping. Since that initial elation I've added the sweetspot card/dscaler and theatertek ffdshow, so maybe thats the difference. I'm still very disturbed though as my instinct and theory tell me otherwise. In fact it has me paranoid that I'm doing something wrong elsewhere ?

As for the progressive scan how does that get turned on or off. Will it be in the (in my case )ATI saphire software or the dscaler software? I'd appreciate any responses as it's making my poor old thick head hurt!

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Not sure what you mean by turning progressive on an off. As I said, by the time the image is being put together by the video card it will have been deinterlaced, either by a DVD decoder, a post-processor like FFDSHOW or DScaler or the image renderer, there is no way to prevent this.

All that selecting an interlaced output resoultion for the Windows desktop does is force the video card to re-interlace before generating the output signals.

As for being paranoid :) .. simply go with what your eyes tell you, really.

5. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah KraGorn so there is an interlaced output resolution option for windows desktop-where is this to be found?
    Oh thanks by the way for your answers it's beggining to emmerge from the primevil swamp for me now.
    One more thing this overlay business for example when using dscaler is it best to use video setting, overlay setting or both?
    Cheers

6. Kamakazie

Kamakazie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    why would you want to run interlaced?

7. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Kamakazie. I seemed to have caused confusion. What I trying to ascertain is this does the dvd software(theatertek/fddshow) or Dscaler put out progressive automatically or does the software have to told. The reason I was excited by KraGorn saying that interlaced can be selected in windows is that I may have left progressive off. There is always a nagging thought with me that theres a setting/something that I have totally overlooked

8. Kamakazie

Kamakazie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    progressive scan is what PC's output by default afaik so you wont have left it off....