Question Can someone recommend an AVR for a 5.1, 1080p set up?

Oldbillgoggles

I'm looking for a replacement for an old Denon AVR 4311, which seems to have bitten the dust.
I need an AVR to run M&K S85 LCR and K4 surrounds, with a BK Mono Plus. It will be running a Sony HW40 1080p projector, fed by an Oppo 93eu.

I'm looking for a good value unit which is capable of running that 5.1 set up - not planning to expand any time soon and quite happy with 1080p.
New or used options welcome.
Any suggestions would be very gratefully received.

GoingGoingGone

Distinguished Member
I'm looking for a replacement for an old Denon AVR 4311, which seems to have bitten the dust.
I need an AVR to run M&K S85 LCR and K4 surrounds, with a BK Mono Plus. It will be running a Sony HW40 1080p projector, fed by an Oppo 93eu.

I'm looking for a good value unit which is capable of running that 5.1 set up - not planning to expand any time soon and quite happy with 1080p.
New or used options welcome.
Any suggestions would be very gratefully received.
Why not just go for a used Denon or Marantz? There are a lot of cheap non 4K ones around like this one
Denon AVR-2311: DTS/Pro Logic II HD ready Receiver | eBay

Oldbillgoggles

I've done a quick search and that model looks pretty good - the specs for what I need look pretty similar to the 4311. I don't need pre outs or analogue inputs, as I'm not using power amps and it will be fed via hdmi. Looks pretty good value for 600watts maximum power consumption. Just a bit wary that it's a 10 year old budget Denon model - not sure what the build quality is like. Will do some more research tomorrow.

Will sit tight for any further recommendations at the mo.

Last edited:

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Do you use it for music, or just for movies / TV?

What do you want to spend, are you looking for as low cost as possible, or something new and decent with a warranty?

Oldbillgoggles

Will be used for movies mostly, with occasional sacd and dvd-audio. Movies are the priority.
Undecided on new with warranty or a good quality used unit in good condition. My thoughts are I don't need networking connectivity or 4K and I'm limited to 5.1 because of the room layout - so with a new unit the only benefit I can see would be the security of a warranty.
Also, I think the M&K S85 and K4s are rated at 4 ohms, so I need an amp capable of running them nicely.
The surround speakers are located on the back wall, behind the listening position, if that has any bearing.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
I have had some bad experiences with used electronics. Although I did get some of my money back selling them in for spares or repair.

So, I would recommend going for a new, with warranty AVR.

Deals can be had with end of line / open box products.

Oldbillgoggles

Yeah - I was thinking the Sony 1080 looks like a good fit on paper. It's just I'm sure I could get better value for my needs with a used unit - if I got lucky and found unit in good condition.
I guess I don't need the bells and whistles, just a unit that would be capable of driving this 5.1 set up nicely and has a reliable build quality.
Was thinking something like the Sony 1080 might be suitable but looking for options.

It's just the number of AVRs are dizzying and I'm not much of a tech head.
How would something like the Sony 1080 compare to a Yamaha RXA 680 - and would they be capable of driving the M&Ks nicely?

Last edited:

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Both of those will be a significant downgrade from your Denon AVR4311.

I know you don't want all the features that a more expensive AVR has, but what you do get for your money on the higher tier models are better quality components, DACs, pre-amps and power amps.

Edit: I realise I haven't suggested an AVR. I would go for a minimum of a Denon 3600 / 3700. But also look at Nad, Arcam, Cambridge Audio. IOTA do a nice basic (ish) processor if you fancy separates?

Last edited:

Oldbillgoggles

I'm sure you're right. Wishful thinking on my part.
Unfortunately I have budget restrictions at the moment, so I guess I'll have to wait and hope to get lucky with the classifieds.
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Oldbillgoggles

Just had a thought -
As I'm only running 5.1 from an Oppo 93eu, could just I drive the system direct through a 5 channel power amp and eliminate the receiver altogether. I could run the projector direct via the Oppo hdmi 1 output and use analogue to connect directly to the power amp.
I guess I would sacrifice the audessey processing and eq but will maybe gain in a good real power supply at a reasonable cost. I imagine it depends on the quality of the DACs in the Oppo?
Would that work anyway and would I hear any tangable negative impacts on the sound?

Last edited:

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Just had a thought -
As I'm only running 5.1 from an Oppo 93eu, could just I drive the system direct through a 5 channel power amp and eliminate the receiver altogether. I could run the projector direct via the Oppo hdmi 1 output and use analogue to connect directly to the power amp.
I guess I would sacrifice the audessey processing and eq but will maybe gain in a good real power supply at a reasonable cost. I imagine it depends on the quality of the DACs in the Oppo?
Would that work anyway and would I hear any tangable negative impacts on the sound?
I have never owned an Oppo, but I have read that this is possible, and could be a great solution for you.

Just check that your model can do this:

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I was just about to post the same link.

It specifically says 10x range so it's not clear if you can do the same with the 93. At the least it's worth checking the manual/menus on the player and seeing if the mentioned options are available.

Oldbillgoggles

Thanks for the advice and links.
I think - being on a budget, this may be my only option. I'm thinking I'll be able to get more from my money, without all the tech that I don't really need.
I'll scour through the manual to make sure it's possible (I'm pretty sure it is).
ALSO - it maybe more likely to find a used power amplifier in reasonable condition than an AVR, as I guess there are less parts to go belly up and they are less likely to have been abused by the previous owner.
Thanks again for all the advice.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom