Can someone recommend a compact RAW camera?

ArturBorucNo1

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for a compact camera, that shoots RAW preferably, with a decent zoom.

Want a camera i can keep in my pocket so im not having to lug my DSLR around everywhere & that is small enough that i can sneak it into gigs.

Dont really know much about compacts. But i'd be looking to spend between 150-200. Although i may go higher if you can persuade me its worth it.

Last edited:
...but seriously what sort of focal length do you want/need for max. zoom ?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
shotokan101 said:
+1 - can't even think of anything else under £200 that shoots RAW irrespective of zoom....

+2 on the canon 95 its what i use as my compact to carry about when not useing the 600D

Pick yourself a Canon and see if its supported by CHDK

Runs from your memory card and unleashes allot of hidden powers including RAW files

How important is size? the S95 is much smaller than the other cameras mentioned.

Size is kind of important - I'm hoping for this one to be a true compact, as oppose to a mini SLR size. Im swaying towards the S100 from digitalrev now at £249. Seems likes it definitely worth the extra £50 but just unsure of trusting a HK seller ?!?!

Think digital rev is safe

True pocketable s100

I went for Xz-1 in the end

I have the S90 and it is an awesome package: it easily fits in a shirt pocket or jeans pocket, shoots RAW and gives impressive picture quality. Based on that I would say the S100 (if you can stretch) or the S95 will keep you well happy.

Over the weekend I decided to go for the Canon S100 from Jessops, at £325.00. Used their collect@store, which all went through fine and then got a call to say that they don't have it. Turns out that although many branches have one in stock, they are all display and cannot be sold. The closest store with one that's actually available to buy is Glasgow ... handy as I live in London!

So ... with the impulse gone, do I'm thinking that digitalrev is the best option. They seem to get good reviews and surely the S100 is worth £50 on top of the S95? decisions, decisions, decisions ...

Canon S95 at £1995.95 from Amazon

Canon S100 at £249.00 from digitalrev

Canon S100 at £325.00 from John Lewis

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Have to say go or the S100...the whole S range has been a winner from Canon. For £325 I'd get it from JL if Jessops can't be arsed to carry stock. Or if you can wait DigitalRev.

Tiny bit bigger but the LX5 is a superb camera as well. I'm sure if you put a wanted ad someone here would respond with a well loved LX5 :thumbsup:

Is the LX5 a better camera than the S100? The LX5 is £10 cheaper at digitalrev.

I am set on a genuine compact size, then possibly adding a SLR next year.

Any comments between e LX5 and the Canon S range are very close so I think you would be happy with either. The S range is slightly smaller as the lens does not stick out as much which makes it more shirt-pocketable and that is why I went for the Canon.
Have you tried London Camera Exchange (or Amazon)?

I think it will come down to size.... although the LX5 is only slightly larger than the S100 it does have a lens cap which is the only downside for me. I prefer the colours on Panasonic's than Canon but that's not to say the Canon is in any way anything other than superb..just personal preference. Given your requirements I would still go for the S100...it has manual controls so you can practice ahead of getting a DSLR :thumbsup:

Or within budget the S95... :facepalm:

Slight update, and massive +1 for Jessops.

After the Jessops collect@store issue, I e-mailed them to express my disappointment. Today, I received a call from their Associate Director for Retail, Brendan Glynn ... he apologised very genuinely and managed to offer a fantastic resolve, which involves me purchasing the camera from my local store tomorrow.

He appreciated that Jessops have a bad name in some circles, but if his efforts are anything to go by they are putting a lot of effort into changing this.

Slight update, and massive +1 for Jessops.

After the Jessops collect@store issue, I e-mailed them to express my disappointment. Today, I received a call from their Associate Director for Retail, Brendan Glynn ... he apologised very genuinely and managed to offer a fantastic resolve, which involves me purchasing the camera from my local store tomorrow.

He appreciated that Jessops have a bad name in some circles, but if his efforts are anything to go by they are putting a lot of effort into changing this.

I trust that they are also offering it at a decent discount as it's a demo/display model ?

A few steps better than that ... they have transferred a new one in from the website stock and their offer was very generous!

Was looking forward to using digitalrev, but glad that I get to have it sooner now!

A few steps better than that ... they have transferred a new one in from the website stock and their offer was very generous!

Was looking forward to using digitalrev, but glad that I get to have it sooner now!

:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom