1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone quantify the HS50 blanking problem for me?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by catesby, Apr 4, 2005.

1. catesby

catesby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am demoing an HS50 tomorrow but have been a bit put off by all the talk on the forum of the blanking issue.

Can anyone give me an idea of how much of a problem this is? How much screen do you actually miss out on?

An earlier thread refers to some pictures on another forum, but I can't download them for some reason, so any help would be good.

Thanks.

2. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    just ask them to hook up an hdmi dvd player and set it to output 720p and all will be revealed.....
    you will see a black border all around the image....
    this can be normal on 2:35:1 material for top and bottom of the pic but if the machine has the blanking problem you'll also get black bars down the sides of the image.
    paul

3. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Catesby, the relevant question to ask you is, what are you connecting to the HS50?

Currently, connecting HDMI and a 720p signal gives a border around the whole image, taking around 5% of the image on all sides. However, if you have a scaling DVD player for example, and you use the 1080i setting, there is no border. If you buy a 'firmware fixed' HS50, the blanking issue is gone. If you connect via HTPC, you should use VGA, in which case there isn't a problem.

We only generally talk about the problems on the forums, and not alot about the good things, which gives a very negative feeling, which to a new purchaser can give a distorted bad impression

4. catesby

catesby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wise words UrbanT - in the heat of a purchasing frenzy it is hard to keep things in perspective!

So just to be clear - if I have a scaling DVD that outputs 1080i, the problem should not arise. I was thinking of a Denon 2910 or 3910, both of which produce 1080 I think.

5. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    You should be fine. Also, if you are waiting for the new batch of HS50's, you won't have the porblem anyway if they have the new firmware :). Enjoy the demo tomorrow.

6. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    And let us know what you think of the HS50 when you get back :thumbsup:

Ray

7. catesby

catesby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately, the demo I had was under rather poor conditions with lots of ambient light. Also, they didn't have any DVD players with HDMI either, so I couldn't form an opinion about this at all. Not great (especially after an hours drive).

Anyway, overall, I'm no expert at all but I had a Themescene H57 for a week (before we discovered that my other half got terrible rainbows) and watching it was much more like going to the cinema than watching the HS50. The Sony seemed like you were watching a large TV, if that makes any sense. It was somehow less warm, involving and three dimensional. It appeared to be quite really dim too. I must say I came away a bit disillusioned with the whole thing. It'd didn't grab me the way the H57 did.

Are these characteristics true of all LCDs, I wonder, or was it just the poor demo conditions?

One thing is for sure. There don't seem to be many places in the West Midlands with decent demo facilities and a good range of projectors to preview. Or am I wrong?

8. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    I not going to defend the HS50, as its to easy to dismiss any comment because I'm an owner.

The observation I would make is that the HS50 took more time to set up and get right than any other projector I have owned or borrowed. But, once done properly, gives superb results. Lots of ambient light + no setup = bad results. Period.

To put this into perspective, another forum member came all the way from Bath on Easter Monday for a demo, with a view to ordering a DLP (double the price) or hanging on for the next batch of HS50's. The impression was that he would be waiting for the HS50. Hopefully he will post a review of his experience in the next week or so, to give you an idea of what a reasonably setup HS50 can do :)