Can someone point me in the right direction for a tripod?

tankpig

Standard Member
Reaction score
Have a Canon 70D with a sigma 17-50 2.8 OS lens - (for weight clarification)

I'm looking to pick one up at a decent price on ebay really as opposed to buying one new but can someone help me pick please?

Thanks a lot in advance! :)

How much are you wanting to spend and what will you be using it for? Does it need to be lightweight for carrying around, or will you only be using it at home? Recommendations will vary depending upon your answers.....

How much are you wanting to spend and what will you be using it for? Does it need to be lightweight for carrying around, or will you only be using it at home? Recommendations will vary depending upon your answers.....

Just general use mate i'm doing photography as a hobby right now because I simply just enjoy going out and taking pictures!

£200 tops RRP cause I'll then more than likely pick it up a lot cheaper on ebay!

I recently bought the Velbon Ultra Rexi L, as it's lightweight, folds to 36cm (without head) and is very sturdy. It costs less than £100, but you'll need to buy a head for it. There are plenty of other options for £200, but you can spend months pondering what to go for. Plenty of threads here on AVF, just do a search for "tripod".

I recently bought the Velbon Ultra Rexi L, as it's lightweight, folds to 36cm (without head) and is very sturdy. It costs less than £100, but you'll need to buy a head for it. There are plenty of other options for £200, but you can spend months pondering what to go for. Plenty of threads here on AVF, just do a search for "tripod".
Don't we both know it :eek:;) :laugh:

tankpig it's all very personal for tripods, depends if you want stability as the main priority, portability, weight, height etc etc. You can go on and on.

If you want a versatile light-ish tripod the Giottos YTL9383 or YTL9353 (depending on height and load), with Giottos MH1311-652 ball head looks a very good set up and both come in under £200 new. The Manfrotto 055Xprob tripod with 496RC2 is another good option.

Redsnapper are great, but they don't have the versatility of ones such as the Manfrotto and Giottos ones I listed in terms of being able to rotate the centre column for over the table shots etc. If this isn't important then the Redsnappers are great value for money.

Thought of a monopod? Reason I ask is I thought I needed a tripod but tbh for what I do its a complete waste of money. A decent monopod is very effective, Ive only ever used that twice but it was pretty cheap so Im glad I never paid for a high end tripod.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom