1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone please tell me what is the different?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by potato, Aug 9, 2002.

1. potato

potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

First of all I'm completely new is this AV area so please forgive me if the question is too stupid.

I'm currently having a set of Quadral as front and JBL movie15 as center and rear, but I think the JBL is far too weak as I can't hear them at all, so few months ago i decided to add a sub-woofer to the system. I got some adviced from avsforum in US that my speakers doesn't match and recommend to fix this problem first, so after few months of money saving and here I go.

I was originally aiming at Canton speakers, checking for Ergo CM 500DC (~460EUR), Karat CM 7DC (~380EUR) and LE 105 CM (~200EUR) as center.

Today I took half a day off and went to a local hifi shop they are selling names that I've never heard of, Monitor Audio and B&W, although I like the look from both but the price is far too much different to the Cantons (MA Silver 10i 500EUR, 12i 700EUR). So my questions are:

Is the MA Silver really so much better than Canton Ergo? Can I really tell the different as a new comer? I try not to use a sub at the moment because I don't want to disturb my neighbours but at the same tmie I want t have some decent sound effect, therefore I want to have a good center.

My current budget is ~1000EUR for front and center (would be nice if I can get five) but can go up as well if it's really worth the money.

Thank you very much for your help.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Guten Tag!

Well, MA (Monitor Audio) and B&W are surely no unknown brands, both british if you didn't know.
    I haven't heard the Canton speakers and the Silver's only briefly, in fact I have some MA myself (discontinued PMC series).
    It is indeed advisable to match the fronts and center, is possible even the rears.

That said only you can decide which are better as you need to listen to them to yourself - upon which you have to decide if they are worth the extra outlay or not.
    With a budget of EUR1000 you are pretty limited though. Have you considered the Magnat Vector Series (77, 55, 22, 11 and Center 13)? - They are heavily discounted and should fit your budget:

http://www.hifi-regler.de/indexfrm.php?/magnat/magnat.htm&SID=e90a71723a63871f0071b24118f425bd

A good center is IMHO no substitute for a sub, the latter highly recommended for any AV setup - not only because of volume but for really deep bass. Wouldn't worry too much about the neighbours. ;)

3. potato

potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much Reiner.

I did a search on MA and found quite a lots of posts, but mostly are having Silver 5i or 8i as front. But they are too big for me and not to mention the price so the salesperson recommend me having 2 x 4i for front and 12i for center, then I can use my floor standing Quadral as rear and set it to large (I think he said large) for the time being until my next budget available. Is this setup okay? Consider that (I don't know whether this is important or not) 4i are 8ohms, 12i is 6ohms and my Quadrals are 4ohms.

Since I don't have a sub at the moment, so does it means I should go for a center will lower frequence?

The budget is not really fixed, just I don't want to buy something which is 300EUR more but I can't tell the different.