can someone please help? :(

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dAvE6, Sep 5, 2001.

1. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have just bought a sony db1070 amp, yamaha 105 subwoofer, toshiba 210 dvd and some B&W speakers.

they are:

1 CC6 centre speaker

2 601 S2 for the front speakers.

2 DM303 for the back speakers.

<br />im new to home cinema, and have a 4x4 metre room. i had previously had a theatre kit but i was appalled at its low sound quality which wasnt even upto a nicam tv standard. so i have gone for the setup listed above. its so much better with bass to all speakers rather than just the sub. but my main concern is the centre speaker. its decent with a warm sound but sometimes on high notes it might produce a shrill and unstable sound. i dont understand any of the frequancies to the various speakers but i do understand the DB per speaker and i have adjusted them accordingly. is there any way of improving its sound? bear in mind my room size and accompianing speakers.

also, one major queary i had was that, i heard a rumour that after lots of hours they IMPROVE in performance. is this true? i heard about 40 hours. if so, how long? and in what way do they improve? and is it normal for the first few hours to be slightly underwelming?

if anyone can answer these questions i will be very grateful. thankyou.

2. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive worked out its called RUNNING IN TIME. are there any B&W cc6 speaker, owners out there who can tell me how long they take to really become good, and how significant the difference is?

3. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much. i had no idea it was such a long period. my dealer claimed today that the difference wouldnt be significant, but when i called B&W they said it would be a noticible difference where the treble and bass would be more loose, narural and with more presense.

4. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +748
    I havnt owned any B&W's (yet - thinking of getting some CM4's).

It'll take between 40-100 hours to 'run in' your speakers.

This should imporve the top end of your center speaker - also it should improve when warm as its a metal domes teweeter - these take longer to run in & have to warm up too.

Give it a week of heavy use - if theres stil problems with the center talk to your dealer.

5. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Having owned the B&W set for a year now - I recomend not sending the base to the cc6 full stop - I found it to affect the level of clarity when there was speach.

Just my opinion though.

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I would recommend setting the CC6 to SMALL, if you want a LARGE centre you could try the LCR6.

All B&W speakers take a while to run in because the kevlar needs to loosen up a little, which takes quite a while, and definately improves the sound.

7. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok two things:

1. i use the cinema EX B mode on my sony DB1070 amp, and when i go to set up and switch dolby pro logic to OFF it improves the sound to all speakers especially the centre. its weird. why is this?! in fact it sounds MORE surround and dramatic without it.

2. sending no base to the centre speaker makes it sound way too shrill for my taste. i send +8 DB to it. but also a fair bit of treble.

3. why set it to small, i dont see the point, as it will cut off base signels to it. and having base to it sounds great especially on string instruments on audio CD's.