Question Can someone please help me with my Cyrus system set up?

cobz28

Novice Member
My dad has recently given me his old Cyrus Hifi system, the units I have been given are: Cyrus 3i, MR3, dAD 3, FM7.5, XPA, PSX-R but am unsure how to run them together. I'll be running a pair of stand mounters off of them for now (Until I can start to add some more) and have also been given an old MK VX-7 Mk2 sub. What is my best way of connecting these all together? Its a relatively small room and only the one zone so I question how necessary the MR3 is! Thanks in advance for any help!

It would be useful to be a little more specific with your question, i.e. which part are you unsure about? As a starting point, use RCA cables to connect all the sources to the main amp. Connecting a sub to a stereo amp is a little more complicated...although it may be simple depending on what connections you have on your amp. There are lots of old threads on this topic if you try a search.

Matt

cobz28

Novice Member
Thanks Matt, I've connected all the inputs via RCA into the 3i, which I'm then running through into the XPA and currently have the sub run out of the speaker channels on that amp, The two things I am stuck on is that all of the speaker outputs seem to be a different connection from anything I can find online (I think it may be a 4mm BFA connector but not even sure if that's a thing!) and secondly, as I am only running a pair of stand mounters and the sub, do I even need to be using the powered amp and MR3? I have tried a number of different threads on different forums but with the age of these components I am struggling to find anything that specifically relates to them!

Hi Cobz, it has to be said that I don't know your particular equipment so take this with a pinch of salt. By the looks of it, you don't need the MR3, and it looks like the 3i is an integrated amp (i.e. has a power amp built in), in which case you don't really need the separate power amp (unless it sounds better).

As for connections, speaker connections don't hugely matter. 4mm is the standard banana plug diameter, so with a bit of luck that's all you need. Having said that, my dad always just put the speaker cables in the holes and then put match sticks in to hold them in--I'm not sure if that's the done thing, but it served him for many decades!

Matt

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review, Filmmaker Mode, Disney+ $30 for Mulan, AV news and more
Top Bottom