1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone please help me with Hitachi 42PD7200 1080i?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Dan L, May 23, 2005.

1. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I updated my Xbox Media Center last night, and set the GUI resolution to 1080i, the PQ was stunning and was way better than I expected. This is the first time I've seen the Xbox running this resolution (I think it was running 480p before the update).

My problem is that when I run my PC via DVI at 1080i, the PQ is a bit crap; in Windows the font is barely readable (although admittedly I have not enabled large fonts), this I could cope with except the Media Center GUI is utterly appaling - very pixellated. It looks really poor.

So can anyone give me any suggestions as to why the PC 1080i quality is so bad?

2. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    *sob*

3. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would imagine its a driver problem with your gfxs card :rolleyes:

4. limbk

limbk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you tried to change the mode of the DVI from STB to PC?

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Dan, just a thought, is the PC desktop all visible, or is any 'overscan' noticeable? You might not see all of the taskbar for instance. What Hitachis used to do with 1080i was clip it vertically to fit the screen, ie it only displayed 1024 lines of the 1080 visible lines of picture. If they have decided this is unacceptable, you are now scaling from 1080 to 1024 vertically, which might be a reason for fuzziness. Be interesting to know anyway.

6. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Hi Maw,

No it's not all visible - 1080i is one of the most overscanned/clipped modes I've tried, for example only about half of the start menu is visible when clicked on (on the horizontal plane) and the probably only a couple of pixels on the top of the task bar are visible on the screen.

TBH the overscan does not worry me, but the visual quality (especially the MCE GUI) is so bad that I have to use 720p. Maybe I will try to get some photos to demonstrate the difference.

So I guess there's not much I can do - but would be interested in other ALiS user's findings using a PC in 1080i mode.

7. sandstheman

sandstheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Another issue may be that, a lot of the skins for Xbox Media Centre come in multiple resolution versions, so what your are most likely running is a skin designed to run at 1080i.

Therefore the reason windows media centre might look so rubbish could be that the interface elements i.e. any static graphics etc are not designed to be viewed at that high a resolution

8. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Hmmm, there's a thought...I was working on the assumption that MC was designed for hi def output. I will have a fiddle tonight with different font sizes and see what happens.