1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Someone Please Help A Beginner? (Me).

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by OvertoneBliss, Mar 11, 2005.

1. OvertoneBliss

OvertoneBliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I'm in the market for my first Plasma screen in a couple of months time and I need to know two things.

1) Is there any point in me getting a HD compatible plasma if I'm connecting via VGA from a PC and playing movies via a PC DVD ROM drive? I will be getting a HD-DVD or BluRay drive as soon as they become available for PC but will that be able to send the PQ through VGA anyway?

2) Is the PW7 HD compatible? Without getting complicated (as I'm a beginner). If it can then, as mentioned above, will it take a HD signal from VGA? If not, then is there a way to "make" it HD compatible?

3) I need a couple of web address's I can buy from online that offer finance. I need to pay about half the price and the rest over a couple of months because I won't be able to just give over £1k+ in one go. I just know I won't be able to do it.

Thanks,

Phil.

2. OvertoneBliss

OvertoneBliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No one? :(.

Phil.

3. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Saturday is a relatively quiet day hence the few replies.

1.) If it were me and I knew that I was going to jump into Blu-Ray/HD-DVD when it becomes available then I would be shopping for a Plasma with the HD ready badge... i.e. it is capable of HDMI/DVI with HDCP and at 50Hz & 60Hz. Yes you may use VGA at the moment but when the time comes I think you'll want to move onto a digital video interface as opposed to analogue to get the most out of the Hi-Def player whether it be Blu-Ray or HD-DVD.

2.) The PW7 is an SD res screen, i.e. 852x480 pixel array and the debate still rages as to whether it's fully hi-def capable or not, so best to assume not until everyone in the know agrees otherwise. If you are so sure of getting a hi-def player then it seems to me a bit of a waste to get a SD screen. You'll be better off with the PHD7 or more likely the 8th gen version which will probably be suffixed PHD8, these normally get released in Sept/Oct.

3.) Probably best to go to a price comparison website like PriceRunner or Kelkoo type in a search for the plasma you're interested in and that will spew forth all the major online retailers, from there you can hunt down one that will offer you favourable finance.

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/
    http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/

S.

4. OvertoneBliss

OvertoneBliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve_P, thanks alot for replying to my thread.

After reading all about HD content over the last few hours, I think I'm going to forget about HD compatibility and when there is ONE standard and the technology is cheap to buy, I'll then upgrade.

So I'm just going to buy the PW7 and use that for a few years, as I'm guessing thats how long it'll take for this war to finish and for some of the major films to be released on HD only formats :).

Thanks again,

Phil.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    1) YES
    2) NO
    3) Try forum sponsors (i personally would reconmend www.av-sales.co.uk) but try here:http://www.avforums.com/adverts/advertiserlist.php
    And consider warranty, Demo facilities, service and availability as well as price............

PS the Pioneer 435XDE or Panny TH42PV500 seem to be what you want/need (add Pio 433MXE, Panny 42PHD7 and if you really want to NEC XR3 to that list to demo) all between £2k and £2.5k

6. OvertoneBliss

OvertoneBliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Mr. Horny,

As much as I'd love to take one of those Plasma that you mentioned, I really can't justify that extra cost. I was originally just looking at the PW7 for £999 from Richer Sounds.

I'm new in this market and I think what I buy now will be sufficient for a few years before I actually notice superior quality with other screens. Especially with HD firmly set in mould. :).

The one thing that is stopping me right now, is how exactly my PC will display on the monitor as it will become my main display. The PW7 doesn't have very many pixels and no one seems to have screenshoots etc of how it will look.

I get the idea that it will be bad and I need at least 1024x768 :(.

Phil.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    unlike a PC monitor a plasma will downscale (not map) PC 1024x768 to its native arrray see posts by lisag on using a PC with 37" PW7 and settings to use...