1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone please explain X-box live to me?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Bristol Pete, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Can somebody please explain how I sign up to x-box live and how it works?

I have my broadband connection being upgraded to 512mb next week and would like to know what I need to do to sign up.

Have never ever read or used it or even seen info about it as I usually skip those pages in a relevant magazine. Is is upto much?

Finally, is Pro Evo 4 good on live at that speed???

Captain Benefit.

2. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Best way to sign up to Live is get a Live start-up kit. Think this gives you a years subscription and an install disk.

It's pretty straight forward - disk goes in Xbox and off you go follow the instructions.

Setting up your X-brick to connect to the web is a different matter.

How is your PC connected to broadband? Router, ADSL modem etc...

Live is very good (best online system going...?) - haven't played Pro Evo though - ditched Live before I got that game.

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Hi,

Just have a lap top connected via ethernet card/cable direct into motorola broadband modem.

Can I just switch it over when I need to connect to live, rather than by a router and all that..?

Cheers mate,

Cap.

4. smokingreen

smokingreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The problem I had when just swapping the cables between the computer and the xbox is that the modem (with NTL at least) logs the MAC address of whatever it is connected to, I therefore had to power down the modem for ~30mins before I could plug the xbox in.

This quickly became a huge pain, so I ended up buying a router. They are really not very expensive and just make everything so easy - just plug in and play.

5. Pickledcreeky

Pickledcreeky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

You need a credit card to sign up (Unless they have changed it to alow debit cards) a router with an ADSL modem built in and the xbox live starter kit. You set up the router on your PC (Putting in username password etc) then plug into xbox and away you go.

As for the 512K broadband, with 512K we have two xboxes using live at the same time on that speed connection with no lag problems whatsoever.

Enjoy :thumbsup:

6. bigNeil

bigNeil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Captain Benefit,

Okay, first you have to figure out how to connect your Xbox to the broadband connection. There's a good guide here on the xbox.com site. If you are lucky, you will have a router built in to your Motorola modem, which means you can plug your xbox into the modem and play without having to switch on your lappy. If you're not sure, post the model number of your modem and I'll check it out.

Secondly, you'll need a Starter Kit. This comes with a 12 month subscription to Live, a headset, a setup disk and some game demos. I am actually selling one on eBay but do a search for "Starter Kit" and you should find one for about £25.

bigNeil.