1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone please direct me to that 'anti' Bose website?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Neiliboy, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Neiliboy

Neiliboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I hope you are well, i was on this site a few months ago and some provided a link to a brilliant website which was 'anti' Bose.

I think it was a disgruntled employee or owner or someone basically showing how poorly built the Bose acousticmass speakers were.

So anyone have any idea where this is??

Thanks in advance.

Neil

2. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Think it might be this one: http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Makes some good points, but the best turn-off is probably to go and listen to them.

MuFu.

P.S. Having said that I haven't heard the AM15 set which is supposed to be a real Magnepan-killer. :D

3. Ango

Ango
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    lol, most people who slag of bose haven't ever heard them!

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I have heard them.....even the supposed up-market offerings and regard them as overpriced and underperforming in all aspects other than size.

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Me Too,
    Gonzo.

6. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    The first time I heard the Acoustimas speakers was in the demo rooms in the Bose store in Portsmouth.
    At first I was moderately impressed with the sound these small sub/sat packages produced.
    At the time I had nothing to compare it to and didn't really have a proper AV setup at home. I knew I wanted a home cinema setup but without paying the money which Bose demanded..
    Since then I have built up what I consider to be a pretty good home cinema setup, featuring floor standers, 4 Di-polar surround speakers and a sub with 16Hz extension.
    After listening to my setup at home now then going back into the bose shop demo room, there is absolutely no comparison.:thumbsdow
    All the speakers I have now cost in the region of £1400 which is similar to the cost of the Bose AM15 package.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  8. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hornydragon I'm not sure why you frown on what I have said.
    The point I was trying to make is that for the cost of a top of the range bose system you can have something sonically superior.
    Even for those who desire a more compact setup, there options with superior and better value products.
    I am only stating what are my own experiences and my own honest opinion.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I was rolling my eyes. BOSE is a product for a different market and has its place but i was really rolling my eyes at Neiliboy and MuFu
    you can slag of any manufacturer you like and their are some shocking examples. But i have heard the complete Bose range and while not the best in the world it is by no means the worst!
    And a large number of people prefer the sound why i dont know but they do.
    This has been done in blind tests by the way!

10. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I agree that Bose don't make the worst speakers out there.
    I did actually say that I was at first impressed with them my self. But this was without direct comparison to anything else. Bose have many shops like the one in Portsmouth which is in the middle of Gunwharf Keys, a major Hampshire shopping complex. So I expect Jo Bloggs public to pop in there for a listen between buying jeans and sweaters and think 'WOW!'
    These people buy because they often have'nt heard any different.
    There are thousands of these sorts of people, which enable Bose to thrive as they do.
    To be fair, the slagging off of Bose speakers on the forum usually isn't that they are crap, but for the fact they are probably over-priced and not that good value for money.

11. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The person doing the anti Bose article doesn't know what he's talking about. He may be correct in that the Bose speakers aren't very good for the price, but his conclusions to what makes them bad is SO wrong.

12. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've heard the AM10 set (think it was anyway - 5 dual-cubes + bass module?) and a $5,000 Bose lifestyle installation on a yacht, the specifics of which I can't remember. You're very fortunate in that you've been in a position to hear the entire range and make a fair appraisal. In my own experience, I agree with comments that they are by no means the worst speakers in the world, but still thought the examples I heard were an absolute rip-off at the price. I'm sure there are PC speaker systems which reach similar levels of performance (not just in terms of raw SPL output) for under £500.

When I said "the best turn-off is probably to go and listen to them", I didn't mean that people will hate them without fail (although it does seem that way now I read it again, lol). I simply meant that no amount of listening to other people's opinions is going to subsitute for actually going and getting a demo. Not only that, but a demo against similarly priced systems (whether they're the same size or not).

Besides, surely there needs to be at least some small, irrationally anti-Bose sentiment to offset the global, irrationally pro-Bose one. :D ;)

MuFu.

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I agree completly but part of is the DAV syndrome nice looking etc etc (BOSE systems are a different kettle of fish!) But seriously they lack midrange but then those who hear full range dont always like it. and overpriced???
    It seems that their is a feeling that dealers should sell at no profit and provide top notch facilities and backup from the goodness of their hearts! BOSE back up is far better than many manufacturers.
    But this forum is not for those who want BOSE and rightly so its about no compromise. Bose is a compromise and so are most other things in life!

Prog scan, Bass extension andother technology Guff aside if you want a system that is easy to use, setup and looks sounds good and are prepared to pay £2k for it why not?

14. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Quote - 'These people buy because they often have'nt heard any different.'

I cant believe this statement - your saying these people are stupid idiots that walk around like idiots all day

How many people do you know like that?

Alot of them are not stupid and have heard alot of speakers and still prefer BOSE

15. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I didn't say people walk around like idiots all day! I mean a lot of people don't have a clue to what makes a good sound system. That's not saying that they are stupid.
    A lot of my friends have come to me for advice if and when they choose to buy some AV kit. They don't have a clue about frequency response, tonality, crossovers etc...because they don't need to know.

If people have experienced other speaker packages and still prefer Bose, well good for them. That's their opinion, and they are entitled to it.

16. CrystalClear

CrystalClear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard a couple of Bose speaker setups and I don't like them. They are over-priced, and over-hyped a little too much in my opinion. My g/f, who doesn't know quite as much about audio doesn't like the way they sound. She does, however, like the way my B&W 604 S3s sound.

B&W & Rotel for me.

17. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +734
    Funny bose story:

I'd recently picked up a set of MA speakers from sevenoaks (liverpool), but had a dealer centre whilst my one was shipped - when it turned up it was faulty.

Took it in to sevenoaks , who were just starting dealing with bose. pluged it in, whacked a movie on and EEW sounded awfull. Everyone agreed - crunch crappy sound, very poor.

Then they realised it was the Bose (acusti10/15ish) that were pluged in and switched on - not my faulty speaker.

Turnes out a duff MA silver centrer > bose ! :)

Oh and the Bose in my nice new RX-8 is pretty poor too.

18. jucame

jucame
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A friend in his house has Acouticmass 5 and I can tell the diference, the sound is incredible clean and very much exact as real sounding, I have the same system as my friend but without the Bose, I have just purchased a set for me, I am Musician I know what I am talking about, this set is awesome, I will use it as part of a home cinema system I will replace the two front and subwoofer with the Bose, a killer combi for music as well as Cinema experience.

19. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I think this is another thread that should be locked as the original question has been answered and it is just degenerating into the usual like bose/hate bose arguements.