• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can someone please confirm if this is the latest Macbook Pro 17 inch version.

NewfieDrool

Banned
I have finally made up my mind on which MacBook to go for and have decided to go for the 17 version. Never have I found it so hard to decide but in the end and after using my friends new 17 inch I know it will be fine for me and hopefully last a while.

Now I have been looking around and I visited amazon and saw this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-MacBo...1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1322395361&sr=1-1

Can anyone confirm this is the same machine as seen in various other places for £2099.
It looks to good to be true to be honest. I have a feeling it's not the present version yet the spec sounds the same.
How comes its so cheap, have I missed something??
 

NewfieDrool

Banned
RobM said:
Yup, that's the one; MD311. Very good price.

Thanks Rob, it just looks to good to be true. The picture relates to an older model but the info apart from the rrp tells me it's the modern version.
I was not sure as the rrp and photo had me thinking.
 

RobM

Distinguished Member
It's a stock image, but it's not necessarily an old one. The silver bezel, if that's what you refer to, is what you get when you order the anti-glare screen. Not sure why they have used that particular image since it doesn't have that screen, but it's just a library image. The model number they list is of the current model so if you pay that price and get something else, you'll be well within your rights to ask for a refund, not that I suspect that will happen. It looks legit, it's sold directly by Amazon too which inspires confidence.
 

NewfieDrool

Banned
RobM said:
It's a stock image, but it's not necessarily an old one. The silver bezel, if that's what you refer to, is what you get when you order the anti-glare screen. Not sure why they have used that particular image since it doesn't have that screen, but it's just a library image. The model number they list is of the current model so if you pay that price and get something else, you'll be well within your rights to ask for a refund, not that I suspect that will happen. It looks legit, it's sold directly by Amazon too which inspires confidence.

It does seem a good deal. I wonder if it can take the parcel delivery of the royal mail. I guess it should be fine as Apple also send theirs by couriers. Perhaps I'm worrying to much. Sometimes you feel buying local is worth it but that's quite some saving of the rrp price.

Thanks again for your reply.

Edit to say even the 15 inch version is reduced by a heck of a lot and that's the i7 spec as the bigger brother.
 
Last edited:

NewfieDrool

Banned
Just got a confirmation that a local reseller has the MacBook pro 17 in stock so while I think it's a cracking deal from Amazon I would prefer a local company just in case anything goes belly up.
Can't wait to get my first true Mac for myself. My friend will be pleased as we can FaceTime in HD.

I think I made the right choice. So many options but at the end of the day when spending this much I would like a computer to last a good number of years and I just felt that this was the best way to secure that in the long run. Hope my thoughts are right.
 

NewfieDrool

Banned
Well I went for it today.
Never have I found it so hard to pick a computer, what is it about Apple.
I decided in the end to order from Apple and went for the 17 MacBook Pro which my friend has. Never thought I would ever own an Apple computer as I'm a life long Windows man.
 

NewfieDrool

Banned
Thanks can't wait:)
However in my own true style I have cancelled the order with Apple as my local JL has one in stock and I'm picking it up today. I drive my other half mad as I am always changing my mind and can never make my mind up. Bless her for putting up with me.
 

CamFire

Distinguished Member
Good call there. I recalled someone posting a thread re a Mac purchase on Amazon and it got signed for NOT by him! The saga went on with calls to the credit card company, Amazon, post office, etc.

I think JL gives two year's warranty but you have to remember to take out AppleCare within the *first* year if you want a full three years.
 

NewfieDrool

Banned
CamFire said:
Good call there. I recalled someone posting a thread re a Mac purchase on Amazon and it got signed for NOT by him! The saga went on with calls to the credit card company, Amazon, post office, etc.

I think JL gives two year's warranty but you have to remember to take out AppleCare within the *first* year if you want a full three years.

I think I made the right choice in the end. I will grab an Apple care plan in the first year for reassurance then I am covered no matter what. Thanks for the tip:)
 

Spudhead

Established Member
I was in your position, life long windows user. Finally decided to take the plunge to Mac. I got the 17" Macbook Pro the same as you last Wednesday, so glad I got the 17" screen rather than the 15, I love it.

Now theres no going back, don't think I'll ever use windows again. Im in love with OSX.
 

NewfieDrool

Banned
Spudhead said:
I was in your position, life long windows user. Finally decided to take the plunge to Mac. I got the 17" Macbook Pro the same as you last Wednesday, so glad I got the 17" screen rather than the 15, I love it.

Now theres no going back, don't think I'll ever use windows again. Im in love with OSX.

Great to hear you love it.
I've just set mine up and it was so easy. Took about an hour with the wow factor of trying out stuff. Just setting up mail smart boxes as I type, just lovely and easy.
 

Spudhead

Established Member
Great to hear you love it.
I've just set mine up and it was so easy. Took about an hour with the wow factor of trying out stuff. Just setting up mail smart boxes as I type, just lovely and easy.

Yeah even setting up is fun on these. Im just so amazed at how cool the whole thing is, its got mildly warm once when using FaceTime when it was rested on my bed and slightly blocking the fans I presume.

However Ive not even heard the fans spinning once, uber quiet.


Ive had high quality screens in the past on my desktops, however nothing compares to this one. Im more than impressed with the whole thing and was worth every penny and more!
 

NewfieDrool

Banned
Spudhead said:
Yeah even setting up is fun on these. Im just so amazed at how cool the whole thing is, its got mildly warm once when using FaceTime when it was rested on my bed and slightly blocking the fans I presume.

However Ive not even heard the fans spinning once, uber quiet.

Ive had high quality screens in the past on my desktops, however nothing compares to this one. Im more than impressed with the whole thing and was worth every penny and more!

The screen is lovely. I'm still on an old iiyama screen on my desktop but this blows it away.
Had a bit of hassle on emails, it was setup ok to start with and I thought the address were wrong as my computer and iPad are different but it's working ok.
Just working out all the settings still as I play around but so far it's great.
 

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom