1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can someone please check this before i buy....

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by cameronl, Sep 25, 2003.

1. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there all, for the first time ever I'm buying myself a brand new computer (I always seem to get free/cheap ones that are behind in technology) so could someone please check this to see if I am missing anything.

It will be used for email, command and conquer and a sound server

I'm not to up on the silent technology so if someone can spot a way to make it more silent then please do tell ;)

I'm getting everything from overclockers except the sound card.

LG Flatron L1710B 17" TFT Monitor
    Chieftec Dragon DX-01BNDMidi Tower (golden brown but looks red to me)
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe "Canterwood" Motherboard
    Intel P4 'Northwood' 2.4 (800 FSB) with HT Technology CPU
    1*512 MB DDR 400 Cas3.0 Dual Channel Ram
    Sapphire ATI Radeon 9700 128MB DVT/TV
    Maxtor DiamondMax Serial ATA 160GB Hard Drive
    Logitech MX-700 Cordless optical mouse
    Logitech Internet Keyboard
    Freecom Classic DVD+/-RW
    Samsung CD-RW
    Plantronics DSP 500 Headset
    Logitech Z-340 2.1 Speakers
    MS Windows XP Pro

RME 9632 Hammerfall sound card

thanks for looking over the specs

CaM

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,019
    How are you connecting to the net as I cannot see a modem there?

How are Freecom DVD+/-RW with blank media?

I’m using the keyboard and mouse you are getting so you will have no problem there so long as you have a spare socket for the mouse stand/charger.

[EDIT] I do not mean you are getting my own keyboard and mouse.:laugh:

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,019
    I’ve just had a look and I see the Freecom is in black I take it that’s why you went for it.
    The reason I mention about the above is I was buying some blank disc the other week and if you look down the page some or more compatible with some media than others.
    See here
    Saying that the Freecom is probably perfectly AOK.

4. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there, I already have a p3 (which I guess I'll end up selling around here...) which has various bits and peices including an external cable modem.

I do want the DVD drive black but I never thought about compatiablity - I will have to check that it will work in conjunction with my dv88p+.

thanks for your help.

CaM

5. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dual Channel memory won't mean anything without another stick of memory to exploit that 'dual channel' loveliness. Dual channel actually appears to mean something with an Intel engine as opposed to AMD which doesn't do a whole lot except look slightly impressive on the boot screen.

Oh, and get Mufu's 9700 Pro BIOS for your 9700 and enjoy some free performance. You can even overclock a fair bit past that just to rub it in. Nice :smashin:

6. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    ah - the ram must be in 2's ah. Thanks for that info, I'll either get 2*256 or 2*512.

thanks again ;)

CaM

7. BBCuk2day

BBCuk2day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will probably use the onboard nic!

Thats a very nice setup is almost the same as im gettin but am waitin for some of the newer gamin tfts to be released although yours is very good (nice choice) and am getting the spingdale chipset instead of the canterwood (more of a cash choice :) )

8. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    thanks everyone for your help, it has been most appreciated.

CaM

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,019
    One last thing is on your TFT monitor although with the style of modern things for the same price you could get a 19inch CRT. Although a big and heavy beast, gives you a bigger viewing area, if you got one you would not want to drop to a 17 inch screen.

Whatever you get I hope everything turns out OK.;)

10. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Cam,

You have the basis of a very good system there. However, I’d like to make a few suggestions…

- You didn’t specify the brand of RAM you were thinking of purchasing, but Crucial is always a good bet. If you head over to their site (http://www.crucial.com/uk) you’ll find that they’re selling 256MB PC3200 modules for £36.41 each (including delivery). I doubt you’ll find them cheaper anyway else so it would be a good place to snap them up.

- Seagate are known to make the quietest drives. However, they’re not the best performers. IBM’s 180GXP range perform very well (although some people have lost faith in their drives following the 60GXP fiasco). Western Digital’s JB range also perform well and are popular on many hardware sites / forums.

- I’m not too sure about the Freecom DVD Writer. I would get something from either Sony, Plextor or Pioneer. Also, by getting something like the Plextor PX708A, you’ll save yourself from purchasing a separate CD-RW drive since this drive supports both 40X CD write speeds and 24X CD rewrite speeds as well.

- I have to say I’ve never heard of that sound card before. I’m guessing it does something specific that meets your needs. However, if its just a standard sound card I’d recommend holding off buying one for the time being. The motherboard that you chose has pretty good integrated sound (with 6 channel support). I’d see how you get on with this first since it should be more than adequate for your needs and if you feel you would like to add a separate card later on, you can do so.

- With regards to the speakers I would spend an extra few quid and upgrade to the Logitech Z-640 5.1 Speakers. From Overclockers (the site you’re going to buy your components from), they only sell for around £60. Not only will they make use of your 6 channel support but they’re considered to be one of the better budget speakers around – they’ve had some very positive reviews / feedback.

- Finally, the Logitech MX-700 mouse and Internet Navigator Keyboard can be bought together as a package – which is going to save you a few quid.

Whether you take these suggestions onboard is up to you. But either way it looks like you’ll end up with a pretty good system. I hope you’ll be pleased with the outcome. :)

Alex

Oh, yes. Like Garrett said, I would have a careful think about what monitor is best for you – a TFT or a CRT. Do a bit of research on this and make sure you are happy (and confident) with your decision. You’ll need to weigh up the pros and cons of each.

11. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there, here are some answers to your questions ;)

The ram type is called kingston and I believe they are quite good - though I will certainly look at the site you suggested.

I lost faith in western digital hard drives once - though it was probably in the 486 era so I'm sure they are much better these days. I'll check around abit.

Taken your advice on board I'll probably swap out the dvd writer to a better know brand as getting the right type of dvd's to work in my arcam/xbox will be important. I'll still get a cheap cd-rw as I like to copy the odd cd the quick way.

I'll also take your advice on the 5.1 system ;)

As for the soundcard - I believe it to be one of the better sound cards around - espeically for the price. Some compare it to the equiv of a lexicon cd player in the avsforum. It allows (with an add on box) you to output 4 different music tracks at the same time - perfect for making your own house wide music server. The music card is from a company called RME and can be bought for a little under 300 pounds I believe. Note, I'll use the onboard sound card for games etc...

I'll also get the mouse and keyboard together.

thanks very much for your suggestions.

CaM

12. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Looks pretty good but I'd up the ram to 1Gb. I use 512M on my HTPC but my serious desktop is more comfortable with the extra memory.

Whats the P3 in your old machine? I might need an upgrade for myHTPC if its better than a 1.13Tualatin???

13. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cam,

You’re right in thinking that Kingston are good manufacturers of RAM. However, when considering their value range, there is very little difference (if any) in terms of quality and performance compared to Crucial’s range. A difference worth noting though, is that Crucial’s products are nearly always cheaper!

Purchasing Kingston’s premium range - the HyperX series - on the other hand, is a different story. These modules have more aggressive memory settings and can therefore run faster. However, they come at a price premium. For general computer usage this really isn’t worth it (in my opinion). The range is only really aimed at ‘hardcore gamers’ and overclockers.

Every person will have their own opinion on hard drives based upon their experiences with them. The top manufacturers are considered to be Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor and IBM. If you look around various hardware forums, you’ll probably find that each of these drives have an equal amount of positive and negative feedback – perhaps with the exception of IBM due to the incident with the 60GXP range a couple of years back. Its worthy to point out though that most drives these days have had a reduction in warranty, i.e. they’ve been reduced to just 1 year. However, some manufacturer’s top line of drives (e.g. WD’s JB range) still come with a 3-year warranty.

If you’re still after a CD-RW, then I would knock the Samsung on the head. I’d opt for a Lite-On drive instead. They are VERY good drives (and are recommended 90% of the time on hardware forums). They can generally be picked up at a cheaper price too (as opposed to the Samsung) - at Overclockers they’re selling at £30.79. Just beware: no matter what brand you buy, burning at high speeds is going to produce a lot of noise!

Hope this helps,

Alex

14. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    thanks for everyone who replied to this email - the help I got has helped me better decide on my next system. ;)

btw; my old pc is only a p3 733.

CaM

15. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'd seriously consider getting the RME 96/8 DigiPAD or PST rather than the Hammerfall, Branxx did a fairly lengthy comparison of lots of soundcards against the RME 96/8 PAD and a Theta DaViD DVD player where the RME came out very well, he then upgraded to the Hammerfall comparison here and the price differential at the moment makes it difficult to justify.

My 96/8 PAD is awesome you wont regret whichever you get :D

Steve

16. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Let us know what you finally decide on…