1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone please answer this

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by tcp/ip, Apr 12, 2005.

1. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi Everybody,

I have built myself a new HTPC nicely high speced and plugged in the VGA input on my Panasonic PW5 plasma, now Sky quality is ok but not great but so be it that is due to the limatation of the svideo input on my Happauge 150 tuner. But the thing I do not understand is that the quality of the Divx playback on my €90 Phillips DVD/DIvx player is much better not as blocky and much brighter in picture quality. I have tried powerdvd/windvd/nvidia codecs and they all look the same not bad just nowere near as good. I have tried MCE 20005 and the latest Mediaportal software and it makes no difference. If a HTPC can not handle the playback of divx well then the for sale section it goes.

Any help would be great,
    TCP/IP

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    I watch a lot of Divx/Xvid films and I think the quality is great, but I have not got the Phillips Divx player to compare it to.

I use this xvid codec 1.1.0 which will decode everything except divx3 files, had a quick look on the xvid website and it seems that there is an even newer version out so I will try that one later. I am also using the Nvidia DVD codec (latest release) and 'pure video' in conjuction with a Geforce 6600gt card, using VMR9, this seems to look nicer too. Also, I have a PW7 panel, and I find that tweaking the sharpness, brightness, contrast and other settings in the advanced user menu enhances quality when playing back Divx films.

Hope this helps

lisa