1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone make this comparison?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TomT, Mar 12, 2002.

1. TomT

TomT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony S7000, which I bought about 5 years ago, and have been very happy with. I recently purchased a Sanyo PLV60HT projector, and as I understand it, a progressive scan DVD player will improve the picture quality.

I am seriously considering buying an Arcam DV2700, however since the Sony cost me $1000, and the Arcam is around $2600, I want to be sure I will be getting a worthwhile improvement.

Can anyone who has seen both of these players give me some comparisons between the two?

Thanks.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Hi Tom

The only member I´m aware of that has the Arcam DV27 is Lowrider, it might be worth you sending him a PM or post asking for him directly.

The Arcam has had some excellent reviews over here in Europe but as yet I havent seen it in action myself.

It should (in theory) with its Prog Scan give a much improved picture compared to the interlaced output of the Sony 7000. If I remember correctly the 7000 cannot pass a DTS signal either so thats another notch in the favour of the Arcam (if my memory isnt fading!!).

cheers and welcome to the forums!!

3. TomT

TomT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jase,

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping someone has seen both of these players in action.....

The Sony is a great player, and was put out before DTS was available on DVD. Unfortunately, I bought my Marantz SR880 recevier at the same time, and it doesn't do DTS either. I guess for now, I'm DTS-free-:( - unless there is a workaround to this situation.

4. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TomT

I did the same thing and jumped on the DVD and 5.1 amp bandwagon, before DTS joined the party.

If your current amp has 5.1 pre ins you might be in luck! try this site: www.5point1.com

They sell the UK 230V Millenium 2.4.6 stand alone DTS decoder for $200. You will need to ditch the DVD player though, but as you plan to up grade, it won't be a problem for you.

5. TomT

TomT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darth,

Have you tried this solution yourself?

Thanks

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do have the FMJ 27 player, it is much better, image and sound than the DV88, but I never compared it with any Sony, just Meridien, and I never used its progressive scan output, I still have just a Loewe TV, fantastic image, looks like slides...

I think you cannot go wrong with it, multi-region, does PAL progressive, reads everything... most people that did extensive comparisons, rates it best value, and only behind the TAG, quite expensive and no progressive scan...

7. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi TomT

Sorry, I did not read your details properly when I posted my original reply, so forgive me for going on about 230V UK Millenium's. I just assumed you lived in the UK. Doh!!!!

Regarding the Millenium 2.4.6, unfortuantly I don't speak from experience on this product as I have decided after much thought, to replace my exsisting DVD player and amp with new equipment during the course of this year.

This is because my existing Pioneer amp does not have analogue 5.1 channel pre-in's to take advantage of the Millenium, so it would have mean't buying a new DVD player AND upgrading my amp with pre-in's which would have been expensive and difficult. So I will later this year have a dts system and other goodies like EX/ES and Pro Logic II to play with.

But had I gone the other way I would have gone with the Millenium, as they have had good reviews from various publications in the UK. The only compitition to it in my opinon was, a stand alone dts decoder made by Denon but this has since been discontinued.

Cheers.

Ash.