Can someone make sense of this comparison New Panasonic VX1 and W850

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by worldaviationhd, Mar 20, 2018.

1. worldaviationhd

worldaviationhd
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    I think the W850 was the same as the HC-V750 but with a second camera in the LCD.
    A direct HD upgrade would be the HC-V800 (for 2018) The HC-VX1 is the 4K version.

3. worldaviationhd

worldaviationhd
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Yes it's the same as the V750.
    I'm
    Thanks would the pixel count be the same? and the zoom it seems to say a similar MM

4. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    The Effective pixel count is higher in the 800 compared to the 750 but the full pixel count is actually lower. Probably better use of the chip in the 800.
    If you go to the Panasonic site, you can directly compare the specs for all the current cameras. This may give you a better guide.

I intend to stay with HD for the moment, it is so much easier to edit. I know that the 4K can be converted to HD but, to me, the extra cost is not justifiable. My interest, with video, is in the story making. HD produces an excellent picture on my system (I accept that 4K may be better) but many brilliant videos have been produced on VHS or Hi-8 where the weaknesses in picture quality were overlooked because the story was so strong.
    I have the 750 as my main camera and the 700 as the backup.

5. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    Agreed Terfyn, it's when folk are about to buy "new" - mostly they'll go for the latest, in the hope of "future-proofing".

Recently had a discussion about Film Competitions - and the subject of "Formats" came up - My-OH-My! Some folks believe you have to supply a tape-version - others like DVD.
    Few Organisers,( it seems), like AVCHD and Memory-Sticks are only acceptable if . . . . ( and here it gets confusing, esp. if the same film is submitted in different Formats ).

Ten year ago Tape was King . . . . now it's all SD-cards - although some Mfrs are trying to flog their own cards ( =Profits!), which are 2x ( 3x) the price-per-Gb . . . in the hope that Buyers will believe they need this to achieve the high recording process.... It would certainly put me off buying a high-end Camcorder.... you know, those which don't allow a good Mpx Stills image.... Huh!

6. worldaviationhd

worldaviationhd
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. Yeah I looked at the Panasonic website specs to compare and well now i found the Video pixel count which is a little higher. I need a camera anyway and at around £550 it should be ok. The optical zoom at 24x seems good for what i need

7. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    The Intelligent Zoom to 48x is excellent with no loss of picture quality.