Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Can Someone Just Please Help

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by djdaveyboy, Jan 13, 2004.

1. djdaveyboy

djdaveyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am at a loss i have no idea what to do!!

I keep hearing this argument regarding RGB and S Video, i have a telewest digital tv reciever, so to keep this simple guys - wouldnt just putting a scart lead from the back of the digibox into for example the tosh or pioneer HDD/DVD recorders be exceptable, will the quality be that bad?? Is everyone on these forums perfectionists or is there definate quality loss????

Please help, i know there is always a lot of fun when you do research for a piece of new kit, but i have done so much research i am scrambled, it is no fun anymore HELP!!!

cheers

2. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The simple answer to your question is 'Yes, the picture will be acceptable but possibly not the best'. The best picture quality is the one that you are happiest with, not what the numerous posts on a forum suggest. Just make sure that the recorder is set-up to receive the type of signal that you feed to it or else you'll end up with sound but no picture on your recordings.

Experimentation is the answer.

3. Shin Gouki

Shin Gouki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surley if the box is set to RGB there should'nt be any problems with picture quality when recording. :confused:

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    In theory a scart lead will carry RGB, S-Video & composite video signals.
    In practice very few boxes will out all of these so the theory doesn't realy matter.
    AFAIK no cable boxes output S-Video so that can be ignored. All boxes should output RGB, but only from the TV scart output and not the VCR output. Therfore to get RGB into a DVD recorder (that can accept RGB of course as not all of them can) you will need to connect a scart to it from the TV out of the cable box. The recorder should then do RGB passthrough so you can watch the cable TV.
    Other than that you can connect a scart to the VCR out of the cable box, but this will give a recording not much better than a VCR as it will only be fed with a composite signal.

Mark.

5. Shin Gouki

Shin Gouki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you can still watch cable in RGB via the RGB out on the DVD recorder?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    YEP best way to see if quality will be ok is set STB to output RGB then connect TV scart to TV RGB scart socket and VCR scart to another TV scart and toggle between add that there will always be a slight drop in quality on recording (not as much as VHS) and see which you prefer.

7. pd45

pd45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but this will give a recording not much better than a VCR as it will only be fed with a composite signal.

I am not surprised djdaveyboy is confused and at a loss, it is comments like yours above that are clearly not true. A dvd/hdd recording of a composite signal are clearly superior to their VHS equivalant.

8. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    pd45

I take it that first sentence was a quote from MarkE19? It confused me when I read it as I thought you were saying it as it didn't mention quoting.

I'd have to disagree here. The dvd/hdd may be slightly superior than VHS but clearly? The only clear difference is RGB and composite.

Again, though, it's subjective as Rolo points out. What one person is happy with, another person is not happy with. In some cases it's because they have never heard of RGB and don't know any better. In some cases it's just their choice.

9. pd45

pd45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

You are quite correct, it is subjective.
    I would say that one of the reasons for upgrading to a DVD recorder is the PQ, people reading MarkE19 statement would/could possibly think why bother if there is no marked improvement of PQ over VHS. Like I say, horses for courses, but I still stand by the statement that it is clearly better.
    Regards

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    The composite signal by its very design is poor!
    A DVD recorder can of course record a vastly superior picture to a VCR, but it can only record what it receives. If the received signal is of low bandwidth with poor colour separation and with interference picked up then no matter how good the potential recording quality, the actual result will be poor.
    To some the difference on a VCR to a DVD recorder via composite might only be small, to others it might be like night & day. To me the DVD will be better, but not by a great deal.
    I do not think my earlier post would put people off buying a DVD recorder as I did say that they should connect via RGB where possible to get the best PQ.

I don't want to type 'War & Peace' in every post so I simplify things. Sometimes overly and sometime not enough. that is why questions are asked on an open forum, so they can get a variety of replies. I think that jumping down somebodys throat and saying they are wrong when it is only that persons opinion will only put new members off returning to these forums.
    You may dissagree with me and I might (as I often do) get things wrong, but keep it friendly and state your opinion and we can all enjoy a good discussion.

Mark.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    djdaveyboy

Technically an RGB video signal should give you a better picture/recording than an S-Video signal which in turn should outperform a Composite video signal.

As others point out some folk are more aware of the picture quality differences when viewing a signal or a recording and will always want the best option available.

For viewing on my PlasmaTV I definateley want the RGB signal from my Digibox to my Plasma and for recording to my Pioneer DVR-5100* I want S-Video as its way better than Composite.

(* the Pioneer DVR-5100 only has Composite or S-Video inputs and the Digibox is either RGB or Composite output).

To enable me to get the best viewing image and best recording possible with my hardware I use a JS Technology RGB2S-Video converter on the SCART RGB output of the Digibox to achieve RGB to the Plasma and S-Video to the HDD/DVR.

The JS Converter has an two outputs; 01. RGB pass through and 02. RGB converted to S-Video - of course this is only applicable if your TV supports RGB.

Best regards

Joe

12. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't need a converter due to sky+ but plenty of people have asked about them

what is your opinion of the converter and roughly how much does it cost

13. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    I don't use the S-Vid converter, but do use the RGB>VGA one and can highly recommend that one. I would assume all his boxes are as good.

RGB > S-Video £75
    RGB > VGA £120

All taken from the JS web site at www.js-technology.com

Mark.

14. Professor Frink

Professor Frink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the JS RGB to S-vid converter and I find very little noticeable loss in picture quality from the RGB feed supplied to it.

15. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While it may be difficult to distinguish between RGB and S-video on a recording,the difference from a decent source on composite is like black and white.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Proffessor Frink can i ask wht you use the RGB>S-Video converter for???

17. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you would use the converter from a standard sky box or freeview box which outputs RGB this signal would then be converted to S-Video as the Tosh/Pioneer/JVC do not accept an RGB signal

I agree with Phelings point. However all of the players do output an RGB signal from prerecorded dvds. They all also allow an rgb pass through

18. Professor Frink

Professor Frink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HornyDragon, at present I use the converter to supply S-video feed to the S-VHS recorder from a Freeview box.

I checked out the comparative PQ by running the RGB output into AV3 (RGB) and the S-vid into AV1(comp/S-vid) of the multimedia box on my TV. I used the Freeview source because that is its main area of use (the DVD feeds RGB directly).

When I get a DVD recorder soon, I intend to use the converter as the signal source, my probable choice, the Tosh DR-1 having an S-vid input.

19. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's true! I tested my first dvd player with RGB and Composite using a freebie music dvd I got with my pc at work.

It was in color using RGB and Black and White with composite! ;)

I later realised this was due to the disk being NTSC... :D

But seriously, although a bad dvdr recording will be miles better than vhs, everyone should do themselves a favour and avoid composite in at all costs.