Can someone identify this boiler?

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I was wondering whether anyone can identify this boiler please?

I basically need to know whether its a combi, condensing etc... And also how I would pressurise it as the pressure is below 1 bar. Would it be via a filling loop and if so where would i attach it?

Thanks

Oh and WTF is that red thing! Lol.

Attachments

• 1410984629260.jpg
    1410984629260.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 233
  • 1410984652110.jpg
    1410984652110.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 231
  • 1410984667313.jpg
    1410984667313.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 225
  • 1410984682058.jpg
    1410984682058.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 222
  • 1410984704108.jpg
    1410984704108.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 221
Thanks Sparky here's another photo with the word Ideal on it. Does this help further?

I want to re pressure it as the pressure is very low but not sure how to do it. Am fairly competent with this sort of stuff but just need someone to point me in the right direction!

Attachments

• 1410986265868.jpg
    1410986265868.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 205
Looks like a boiler fitted by British Gas years ago. We have an Ideal RD1 boiler that was already installed in our property in 2003.
From Gas engineers experience I've been told they are good solid boilers.

The Red thing is an expansion tank. It allows water to enter and leave when expanding/contracting.

Thanks Sparky here's another photo with the word Ideal on it. Does this help further?

I want to re pressure it as the pressure is very low but not sure how to do it. Am fairly competent with this sort of stuff but just need someone to point me in the right direction!

danmc_82 may be right, but I cannot find an Ideal model with the word 'system' on the front panel. Is there a model number anywhere by which we can identify it?

Thanks for the replies guys. Will check for a model number or similar and post back. It is an old boiler, installed when house was built in 1999! Still looks to be going strong but I need to bleed the radiators as not all are heating properly which will further reduce the pressure in a boiler that doesn't have much anyway! Need to know/figure out how to re pressurise the system as a priority.

The boiler is an Ideal classic with a sealed system kit on top.The filling loop for topping up the pressure is normally fitted in the top section and will need to be topped up to 1 bar.The top section should just lift off but be careful not to move it too far as the pressure gauge is connected.

Thank you IG and thank you ever so much metropolis youre a legend mate! I will look at it tomorrow, had a quick check and couldn't see any model number. The top does indeed lift off and the pressure gauge is connected so will have a proper look for the filing loop tomorrow. Thanks once again everyone :)

It's an ideal classic. With the bottom tray missing. The filling loop won't be with the boiler. The pressure should be around 1 bar.

Someone said it's like the British gas rd1. Very close almost the same boiler.

The classics is a good boiler. cast iron heat exchanger. Only problems I ever come across are fan or gas valve.

Liam

Edit: just seen I'm to late.

Last edited:
Managed to find the filling loop which oddly enough was in an 'airing' cupboard upstairs with the rest of the heating controls and it was already fixed to the system. Used a flat head screwdriver to open the valve and with the Mrs downstairs where the boiler is managed to get it to 1.5 bar. Whacked the heating on and checked the radiators, most weren't heating up properly so bled them which caused the pressure to drop to almost zero again! Repressurised the boiler (its at 2 bar now hope that's not an issue!) and will wait to see in the morning if everything is OK. Thanks for the help everyone much appreciated!

RULE OF THUMB SET IT ON ONE. :) I know some boilers are 1 to 2.5 so 2 may be OK, but I suspect 1 to 1.5 is what you should be aiming for. ie 0.5 is too low and 2.5 is too high.

To add, that setting it too high can cause leaks which were not a problem at lower pressures. Just something to be aware of.

Thank you guys, I have adjusted the pressure to 1.5 bar now so all should be good. I am getting a horrible Chewbacca type sound each time I turn on any hot water tap which results in the kitchen tap leaking. The kitchen tap is loose as it is and I hoped that getting rid of the trapped air would stop the sound but it hasn't :( the chewy sound goes away if i turn the tap all the way on or turn it off. Any ideas anyone?

Extra pressure causes the pipes to vibrate more too. If they are not well secured, they can vibrate agains any solid surface they come into contact with.

Extra pressure causes the pipes to vibrate more too. If they are not well secured, they can vibrate agains any solid surface they come into contact with.

Should I look to turn the pressure down or would securing the tap help? Am thinking of putting a new sink and tap in maybe that would help also? Cheers

There is no reason to run it at 1.5 bar. It may decrease of its own accord, but allowing a little out of a bleed valve may reduce the sound. Not the best solution, but hey, what works, works.

There is no reason to run it at 1.5 bar. It may decrease of its own accord, but allowing a little out of a bleed valve may reduce the sound. Not the best solution, but hey, what works, works.

Sorry mate should have clarified, I meant the water pressure not the boiler pressure. Will reduce the boiler pressure as well to see if that works but not sure how to reduce the water pressure on this system! Still learning lol but thanks to the guys on this forum I've learnt a great deal already :)

adjusting the boiler pressure will affect the pressure at the hot water taps, If its a cold water tap that;s a separate issue.

adjusting the boiler pressure will affect the pressure at the hot water taps, If its a cold water tap that;s a separate issue.

Cheers IG will reduce it further to 1 bar and see if that makes a difference :)

Note: IG is just a competent DIYer (and even that is up for debate ;)). So much of my advice such as this is simply passed on from having read posts from our forum experts like liamthefirst in other threads. We have a huge knowledge base in here and I read a lot of it :D

Bit of a revival but I finally got to the bottom of the horrible Chewbacca type noise saga!! This had been driving the Mrs and I absolutely insane for nearly a month and about a week ago I was downstairs in the kitchen and the Mrs was upstairs in the bathroom when she turned the hot water tap on, horrible noise ensues and I noticed that the kitchen tap was leaking and sputtering. Adjusted the hot water tap in the kitchen and noise disappeared. Kept an eye out on this and each time any hot water tap was turned on in the house the kitchen tap leaked and fiddling with the hot water tap in kitchen got rid of the noise.

With the help of Google and YouTube I first tried draining the pipes trying to get rid of any air but this didn't work so a couple of days ago in the sheer frustration, annoyance and embarrassment of waking the house up every time I went on the John in the middle of the night I took to the hot water tap in the kitchen and prised it apart. Turns out that the valve in the ceramic cartridge was shot and was letting water out even when closed. Went immediately on the hunt for a new one at 7pm last night not holding out much hope I'd find something but lo and behold I tracked down the part and after fitting the new one on I now have noise free pipes and taps!! Praise the lord for silent bathroom trips (depending on what you're doing in there of course lol) and I can now turn the hot water on in the house without it sounding like a jet was going to take off!!! And I saved the expense and hassle of calling someone out as well!

Needless to say I had the smuggest look on my face for ages after and short of standing on my roof, beating my chest and letting out an almighty roar, I felt pretty good :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom