Can someone helpa me with choosing a budget amp + 5.1 system ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by andy6581, Jan 2, 2002.

1. andy6581

andy6581

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I Have only recently become interested in Home Cinema after hearing a Mate's 5.1 DTS System. WOW.

I'm on a budget and was about to buy a budget £150 Player, but after reading some of the Great advice here, i decided to spend a little more and Have now purchased myself a Pioneer DV444 (which should arrive today )

I'd like to partner this with a Budget Speaker and amp set up, I've been to richer sounds and I can get the Kenwood KRV5050 amp for £150 and the Eltax Hollywood speaker set for £150. they also have two other speaker sets are from Teac (Bookshelfs) and Limit (satelites), these both have a dedicated sub and are both £150. I would like to use the system to listen to music, and I have never really heard of the other names, so I was thinking of the kenwood amp and the eltax speakers for £300 + Interconnects would be the choice for me.

can anyone offer me any advice, or am I looking at the right set up, i don't really want to spend any more than this, it's only a bedroom .

Any advice / Ideas greatly appreciated.

Andy

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Andy,

It seems to be reasonable system for the money. Do a search on this forum for "Limit" to find opinions. I seem to recall that someone bought some a few weeks ago and took them back as he said that they weren't much good.

If you read other posts you will find that everyone says that you need a sub for the full cinema experience but these subs on the budget speaker systems are not the same as they will merely provide some bass and not the floor shaking bass of a £500 sub.

Kenwood and Eltax is probably the right balance for the money.

Ian

3. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Finding speakers for a HC based in a room such as a bedroom, which needs to be able to function as something else and not be taken over by equipment, is no easy task. Believe me I know.

I split my room in half with a massive curtain, and decided to allow the HC to intrude as much as needed in its part of the room. If you hold yourself to them, space restrictions are a pain. It means usually having to settle with a Sub and satellite system, which aren't that great for a budget. But in my opinion, subs are often not all that important.

I know many will disagree with me, usually those people with dedicated rooms for their HC's, who can afford to buy a decent sub costing more than I'd pay for car. Budget subs like those in Richer Sounds don't compare and you're better off with a decent set of front main speakers. In my small space I have the Mission M73 floorstanders as main speakers. I also use them for the bass channel, which more than suffices in shaking my room around.

So my first piece of advice would be not to let yourself think that a sub is that essential. For £150, you're not going to get a sub that can really out perform a decent pair of main speakers. I've tested subs up to £400 for them alone, and still see no need to buy one until I'm in a larger space and can afford a decent one.

Take a look around different places and don't feel you need the full 6 speaker package to enjoy HC.

As for the amp, I've tried the Kenwood and my mate has just bought a silver one and it's fantastic for the money.

Also, don't let Richer Sounds force or fool you into buying Limit hardware, which in my opinion is not good at all for any half serious HC. They've taken quite a few of my friends for a ride in this way, and I see them trying it on every time I'm in my local store. They even tried to persuade one guy that the £200 Limit (no RGB) model they push was a better player than Toshiba's SD210E!

Eltax get my approval though. Bet that makes you feel a whole lot better don't it? :rolleyes:

4. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got to say I've always found the guys at Richer sounds to be very informative and sometimes have even told me it would be a bad idea to spend money on 1 thing or another, you don't get many shops that tell you to not buy things and save your money.

Anyway on the amp front I would save a little more if possible and go for the award winning Marantz SR4200, you can get it for £250 now at Richer sounds, I got mine for £240 cause I beat them on the price promise so got an extra tenner back.

Speaker wise I wouldn't like to comment has other members here are far more experianced in this matter.

5. RATMARK

RATMARK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    couple of points
    1, richer sounds watch em they do push their own label/more profit lines on people,as long as you are aware you should be ok
    2,my fronts are mission 753's a bit old but big floorstanders,i added a £150 p10 sub from richer. after listening and dont forget you can take it back,i myself was amazed at the effect it had on bass response,to keep it simple you can feel explossions,they also beef up the rear channels sound as well
    why dont you start with the a/v amp and a pair of good front speakers,take your time and add the rest of the speakers at a later date as you can afford them,the sound thro the amp and stereo speaker will ba a massive improvement on your tv sound as it is now
    If you spend all your money now you could end up spending more as you update your speakers form the original set up you are looking at,believe me when you start listening to full 5.1 dts,youll want it improve each piece of your set up. it can be an expensive "hobby"
    Main point just be aware of richer,they do have fanatastic bargains, but they employ " salesmen " to sell profitable lines for them,but ive also been impressed with the products i have bought from them,a bit of double edge sword
    best of luck m8

6. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It's only expensive if you have money. If, like me, you're 21, supposed to be saving up for university and broke, it's crippling.