Can someone help recommend a printer - please

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by MSW, Feb 1, 2009.

1. MSW

MSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    I have looked on the Apple Website but I could'nt really work out what was good for me or value.

I have an airport express and, would like to use the AE to allow the other computers who connect on the "N" network to use the printer.

Does this mean I need a WIFI printer or not, the Printer will be sat right next to the AE, alos though, rather than use the AE I could happily plug the printer into my BT Router

As for printing needs these are very basis e.g. colour would be nice but not necessary, and I WONT be printing photos so quality not that important.

I would say speed is the most important.

Bdget = £150

Thanks
    MArk

PS Crucial 4GB DDR3 Ram in MAc BOOK for 3 days and working ok:clap:

2. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    I have really been looking at the new epson px800, its getting rave reviews and has wifi.

what you have to take into account is printers these days are quite cheap because the inks are chipped and its through these official inks the printer company's make their real profits.

Because of this im using an old epson r220, I can get 3rd party compatibles for 5 quid a set, if I bought epson originals it would cost me 40 quid.

bare that in mind

3. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    You don't need a wi-fi printer if you're plugging into an AE, any USB model will do. OTOH if you buy a wi-fi model then you don't need to plug it into the AE - I have a wi-fi Brother that serves as the non-photo printer for my iMac and MacBook. I have an older Canon I use via USB with the MacBook for photo printing.

There are a couple of things to consider when buying a printer IMO
    1. cost of consumables
    2. what quality photo output do you need?

If you need a good quality photo printer then a multi function (like my Brother) probably won't be good enough. HTH