Can someone help me with improving black levels on a HD65?

HeavenlyWarrior

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I own a HD65 which is a brilliant projector but one thing keeps bothering me and that is the black levels. I have calibrated it using settings I found on a projector website. I'm thinking of upgrading to a expensive 1080p projector like the JVC DLA HD350 just because the improvement in black level is so improved, the resolution isnt that important as most people lead me to believe that the whole 720p vs 1080p isnt really that important but things like black levels, contrast ratios and colour accuracy are when getting a great picture.

Is there a way to improve black levels on the HD65 so that it will not bother me to the point that I will end up buying a projector 4x the price?

To set the black level correctly for your set up (using others doesn't often work), you need to use a test disk. See the link at the bottom of my sig and the forum videos show exactly how it should be done. :)

Failing that, your image may be just too bright, in which case an ND filter such as a Hoya ND2 will dim the image, reducing both white and black levels equally. This can also help reduce image artefacts as too bright an image can make them more noticeable (especially on SD material).

Gary

I can't speak particularly for the HD65, but I can recommend that you don't use 'some settings found on a website'. Put everything back to default and set it up properly using a disc such as DVE, AVIA or the free AVS709 disc. Once you've set brightness, contrast and the other basic settings correctly, you'll be well on the way. This is the starting point even for a professional calibration, so it's a good level to get to (and as far as you can go anyway unaided). Don't fiddle with the RGB or 'white balance' controls without the use of a sensor and software as you're just guessing and likely to end up worse than before. Due to huge variations with lamps in particular and other tolerances in projectors, using other's settings are unlikely to be any more accurate than out of the box TBH.

Once you've done this, you can consider if the picture is good enough to stop you wanting to spend more. However, you really need to consider the room as my HD350 looks quite poor until I put up my 'Bat tent' due to my light coloured walls and white ceiling, so don't think that throwing money at the problem by upgrading will solve it. If the room can't be altered, you might be better of IMHO looking at a grey screen or (if money is no object) a Black Diamond 2 screen as these will help blacks in a less than ideal room.

I've kind of made the assumption that you're really discussing the dark scene performance such as shadows and other details as the room itself won't make the black level any higher (unless you watch with the lights on). It is the reflection from the walls which washes out the dark parts and makes them look 'grey'. Of course the HD65 is a lower budget model than the HD350 (which you may struggle to find new anyway as it's long since discontinued), but careful setup may give you an image that you're more than happy with.

I hope this helps, but if you do buy a HD350 anyway I'm happy to help with any questions on it. :)

So you both recommend I use a test disk to suit it to my viewing conditions? Others include a filter, grey screen and darkening my room.......

Yes, but Gary's probably typed a reply before me. :D

Another vote for trying a Hoya ND2 Neutral Density filter, should be able to pick one up cheap on ebay or in a camera shop. The lamp will dim with age, and it is easier to remove a ND filter than it is to replace a grey screen.

Stating the obvious:
lamp brightness mode STD
degamma Film mode.
increase distance projector to screen
increase screen size

A quick way to check brightness is not set too high is to display a 2.35:1 movie as 4:3 or use edge mask so you can compare the black bars top and bottom video black be the black bars to left and right no signal blanking, they should be the same. No visible dithering noise (mirrors flicking on/off) eyes close to screen.

Do not know what player you have
I have a Sony player and found setting the players brightness to -1 contrast to +1 a lot better than the Sony players default settings.

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom