1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone help me on my purchase?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by andy9, Jul 21, 2004.

1. andy9

andy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have about £1500 to spend and i want a projector and a 6ft electric 'wide'screen. The throw from the projector to the screen is only 10ft 6in, or 3.23m.

Dunno whether to got for panny ae500, h30, z2....?? whats best suited to my needs? also can anyone recommend a good 'value' screen??

thanks

2. andy9

andy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone??

3. andy9

andy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as they say in the trade fudge it! the Panasonic AE500 is on the platinum!
    Cant wait now!

4. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    have you checked out the throw lenght calculator? with a short throw like yours you may find that a short throw pj will be better for your needs. (the h30 is a short throw, but I don't know about the others)

Hope you've demoed too!

5. andy9

andy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no demo, i know im crackers, but where i live theres nowhere to demo that model, but my going on reviews there are not many unhappy customers! so cant really go wrong.

6. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It seems there are lots of people on here who haven't demoed... guood luck to you I say, but I wouldn't want to spend more than a grand on something I may not like!

You should check the screen throw calculator though (I can't remember the link for the really good animated one... I think it's at projector central) to make sure that you can get a decent sized image. It would be majorly dissapointing if the picture was half the size you'd antisipated!

7. andy9

andy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have done, i only want a 6ft screen and its well within the limits of the projector, so im happy. let u know when i get it setup.

8. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    cool... sounds like you've done some homework :smashin:

hope it all works out

ps - welcome to the forums! :hiya:

9. andy9

andy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, i was beginning to think this forum was dead! lol

10. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    LOL... I know what you mean... sometimes it seems like it takes AGES for people to reply, but there are a lot of people on this forum who work in the business and are only logged on at work during work hours. You'll probably find that someone picks this thread up in the morning.

ps - on the screen front, a lot of people just project onto a smooth matte white wall... doesn't get much cheaper than that!

11. andy9

andy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What has everyone done for connectivity? I was think of having a scart block where sky,dvd, and ps2 is have all them connected in and one just the one scart or s-video connection to the projector?? i'll channel wall out so its all neat and tidy.

12. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Lots of options there mate... there's a whole section elsewhere in the forum about connectivity, but SCART sounds good. You should check that the pj has scart input, as most don't... you may need an adaptor! I'd suggest that you read some of the entries in the other forum to see what other people have done.

13. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Hi Andy

I got a AE500 about 2 months ago, and I absolutely love it. :thumbsup:

I project on to a 1.75m wide screen from a small table about 10ft away and I conect it up to the DVD player using a 3m component cable.

I find the PQ stunning, very bright and life like. I watched the SE version of Predator on Saturday night and I was totaly blown away, it was really as if the jungle was alive. The detail was superb, you could actually see the beeds of sweat run down Arnies face. Other films like Bad Boys II, Kill Bill and Finding Nemo left me gobsmacked

During Euro 2004 I watched a couple of games on it, and it's amazing to see a life sized player like Henrik Larsson running across your living room.

The only problem I've found with it is that I want to change everything else in the house to accomodate it. First to change is the surround sound amp and speakers (hopefully this weekend), then I'm working on the wife to let me convert the garage to a dedicated home cinema. Here's hoping!

I hope you enjoy it and it doesn't end up costing you as much as mine will in the end.

14. andy9

andy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what am i best to get? to connect to the ae500?

15. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    If that's all the options you have, then go for the S-Video connector top right in your picture, however if you have a scart output on the DVD player (and you aren't using it to plug into the TV) that would give you a better picture. If there is a red/green/blue connectors on the back of the DVD player that would be the best one to use.

Hope this makes sense!

16. andy9

andy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no red,blue,green connectors. just the phone jack (video) and the s-sideo. What would be the best out of these 2? i've heard that s-video is only suitable upto a certain resolution???? ie, not the resolution the ae500 can display?

17. andy9

andy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got the ae500 today!
    also got a marantz dv4300, so i could use the component out.

18. pharris007

pharris007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi Andy9

the pany is on my short list, dont know whether to go for the 300 (some very good bargins) or the 500.
    did you get the "free" screen?? cant wait i hear its a cracker hope your happy with it.

good to hear you have gone progressive with the Marantz, pioneer and denon are about to releace a new set all with progressive and cheap too, let me know if it does make that much difference. :hiya:

19. andy9

andy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The picture is great, all be it being projected onto the wall i just put some white paint onto (just bought the house - so plenty of decorating, plus i'll do i nice install of all this!). The pic is the image projected from between 5 and 6ft away, it measures 72inches across and its the max projector screen size from that distance. just need a nice electric screen now!

no i didnt get a free screen, probably why it was cheaper. got a carry case tho.

20. activeuk

activeuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    any more pics of this in action mate im looking to get one but like u no were round here for a demo please post some more pics so i can make my mind up:)

21. andy9

andy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Cant tonight, might be able tommorrow night, PM your email address and i'll send you full size pics, any films you want to see pics off that i may have??