Can someone help me improving the quality of a gig i recorded?

B

brisk

Hey there

I saw a band called Clutch play last night. Its all listenable, the first few songs are not the best quality as i was right up front and so its really loud but the quality isn't so good. But i moved right to the back as i needed to get the last bus back ;p and the quality is awesome imo.

so i wondered if anyone knew any sites or something that could tell me and tweaks i could do to improve quality. I would appreciate any guides as if you tell me a name of a piece of software i wont have a clue what to do with it.

I recorded the show using my Archos 404 - mp4 player. Just used the inbuilt mic function its got. The show is in WAV format.

Here is a sample -

http://rapidshare.com/users/H6I0JH

I want to get rid of the crackling for example. But i have no clue.

Im willing to spend money to get a decent enough program.

thanks for all your help

peace

Ed

you don't say how you recorded it. did you connect your minidisc or dat to the soundboard, or did you make "an audience recording" using a mic plugged into your recorder, and thus picking up all sorts of audience noise, and perhaps distortion due to the loud volume?

either way, rip to wav on your pc and use something like soundforge to reduce the bass if it's too loud, reduce the volume level between songs when the audience is screaming, take away hissing if it's from analogue tape, etc.

those are the usual tricks fans do to clean up unnoficial fan recordings. if the volume level is really low from an old tape, you can try normalising everything first

if it's a line level recording from the mixing desk, you might want to boost frequencies like the bass if it sounds a bit dull and lifeless, but i doubt you would ask if that was the case as you would have a pretty clean and listenable recording. if you know the band, try asking if you can record that way the next time, and give them all copies as a thank you. then sell bootleg copies on fleabay when they become famous :D

Hey there

I saw a band called Clutch play last night. Its all listenable, the first few songs are not the best quality as i was right up front and so its really loud but the quality isn't so good. But i moved right to the back as i needed to get the last bus back ;p and the quality is awesome imo.

so i wondered if anyone knew any sites or something that could tell me and tweaks i could do to improve quality. I would appreciate any guides as if you tell me a name of a piece of software i wont have a clue what to do with it.

I recorded the show using my Archos 404 - mp4 player. Just used the inbuilt mic function its got. The show is in WAV format.

Here is a sample -

http://rapidshare.com/users/H6I0JH

I want to get rid of the crackling for example. But i have no clue.

Im willing to spend money to get a decent enough program.

thanks for all your help

peace

Ed

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom