Can someone finish my system for me??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Twin Turbo, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Afternoon all.
    My current system system runs like this.

Sony 40x3500 TV.
    Bose Lifestyle 35 (one optical in, one coax in, multiple phono in).
    SkyHD (HDMI to tv, optical to Bose)
    Xbox 360 (VGA to tv, optical to Bose)
    Sony BDP-S300 BluRay (HDMI to tv, coax to Bose)
    Panasonic DVD recorder (component to tv, phono to Bose)
    Plustron DivX DVD player (component to tv, phono to Bose)
    Toshiba EP-10 (just ordered. Not connected!)

What I'm hoping to do is get rid of the Bose, and upgrade to an HD amp (if that's the correct term! :rolleyes:).
    I don't want to break the bank, that's pretty much broken after all the above!
    I've been reading about the Sony 901 and the Onkyo 605, and they seem to fit as regards price and spec. I'm leaning more towards to Sony as it has the extra HDMI port and is that bit cheaper.
    It's been a while since I bought an amp, so sorry if these are novice questions:
    The Sony will take 3 HDMI inputs, and will output through a single HDMI?
    Is this a lossless passthrough, or does it degrade/upgrade the picture?
    If I'm running the BD and HDDVD players through it, and they both output in 1080/24p, will the 910 output in 1080/24p?
    While the players are connected, would I set their output to "lossless PCM (or whatever)", and then on the amp selct the audio I require? Or is it a case of setting the output/input to Auto and selecting the audio track from whatever disc I'm watching?

I'm also gonna need a new set of speakers and sub, unless someone knows a way of connecting Bose speakers and sub to an external amp?
    Is there a general concensus as to what speakers/sub would match the 910, again without breaking the bank?

Thanks for your patience in reading all this.
    TT.

2. fox

fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    In terms of speakers to match your DG910, Jamo A102s are a popular ‘discreet’ option at a good price, and an alternative here would be to look at some of the Canton packages in the powerbuy thread. The Mordaunt Short Avant Premiers are also a great option for a more ‘traditional’ look pack at a low-ish price point. If you move up the ladder to ~£500 then you can look at something like Wharfedale Diamond 9’s or the ever-popular Quad L-ITES.

3. Orfink69

Orfink69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TT,

Probably not going to be able to answer all of your questions but I thought my recent decision might be of use seeing as I have just done exactly the same.

I too have decided to forego the Bose in favour of a new AV amp and speaker set up.

Again cost was a considering factor and after much deliberation :suicide: (read as time searching AV Forums, thanks to all) I decided rather than getting everything at once on a tight budget I would buy bit by bit which extended the options.

Anyhoo, decided on the Onkyo 605, with a pair of B & W 685 for the front with a BK Gemini (arrived yesterday :clap: ) as the sub, soon to add in a HTM 62 centre and then some 686 for the rear later in the year.

It is the best decision I have ever made. Much more flexible than the Bose (read as time spent reading manuals and getting it wrong, part of the fun though) and IMO much better sound quality.

Please don't get me wrong I love the Bose for its simplicity and for what they cost it ain't bad at all, it's just with a bit of thought (read as deliberation) you can improve the experience no end.

There is an upside to this, Bose goes into bedroom = once :D

Couple that with the upgrade to a 42z3030 and it means I can relocate the 32" lcd upstairs as well :thumbsup:

Sorry this seems to have gone on a bit, what I'm trying to say is no matter what AV amp and speakers you end up buying (do the research and spend time doing so) you will love it :smashin:

4. Cynar

Cynar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    If you're after small 'lifestyle' speakers Orb audio are remarkably good for the price and size. Only downside is you have to order them from the US.

5. Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Within reason, I assume any branded speakers will perform well, yeah?

Anyone fancy trying to answer the batch of questions I posted in the middle of my ramble? ie.

6. Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    A little bump for my own thread, and plus I've been thinking!:eek:

Is there any way of disconnecting my existing 5 Bose surround speakers and the Accoustimass module from the Lifestyle 35 unit, and connecting them to another amp eg. Sony 910?
    All my speakers/stands/wiring are already in place, and it'd be a shame to have to go rewiring.
    Plus, if I can do this, it'll obviously free up another few hundred quid that I could use somewhere else!
    Is there like an adaptor kit or something?

7. Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I've think I've changed my mind again, and I think I'll go with the 605. I like the thought of having "TrueHD"on the display!:D

Just wondering how I'd connect my SkyHD, Toshiba EP10, and Sony S300 to the 605. All 3 use hdmi, but there are only 2 hdmi in's.
    Will I use the amps hdmi inputs for the hddvd and bluray players to get the full benefit of hd audio, and have the one hdmi out going to the tv, then connect the SkyHD direct to the tv using hdmi and optical to the amp?

8. sp_harris

sp_harris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Yes or send the Sky to the amp through component cables then out of the amp as HDMI. However I understand this will only allow you a 720p picture, which is still good. The advantage of having Sky HDMI to the TV is that you can still get sound from Sky using the TV speakers even with the amp off. Some people like this for the wife and kids (Presonally I don't, just get a harmony remote and it doesn't matter). Whereas using component will allow the amp to do all switching.