Can someone explain the techguys whatever happens club please?

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
The missus went out and bought a telly on behalf of a woman she helps out, from Currys a couple of weeks back.
Currys have sent the woman a letter that says "welcome to the techguys whatever happens club" etc and it talks about unlimited free repairs and support and that sort of stuff. There's even a card with a membership number on it.
Almost like an extended warranty.
But the missus never signed anything or gave any bank details :confused:

Is this basically just the standard 12 months warranty dressed up to look like something better, where she'll receive an offer to extend it in a year's time?

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
No, I've just asked her again.
No details at all apart from name and address, as per usual.

The thing that's puzzling me is there is no timescale mentioned.
It offers unlimited repairs, free replacement, mishap protection, engineer visit,worldwide protection, no fault/no charge and free phoneline advice.
As I said, just like an extended warranty :smashin:

But nowhere does the letter mention any money :confused:

Having re-read the letter it says;
"First I'd like to say thank you for purchasing your LG TV from Currys and for deciding to become a Whatever happens Club member".

The missus is insistent she wouldn't do anything like this, as she didn't have permission.

This is either a mistake or they've slipped it past her, I reckon.
And as much as I'm not keen on Currys, I doubt it's the latter.

tele1962

Distinguished Member
Basically i think they are covering them selves as when ever the Tech Guys get involved with a repair you can more or less guarantee that the tv will come back in a worse state than it went in and no fault found, so you will end up with a new tv at some point.:thumbsdow:devil::laugh:

spudtator

The 'whatever happens club' certainly does not seem to be a free service from looking here Whatever Happens™ | Our services | TechGuys
My guess is that if you call them with any kind of issue you will have to sign up to one of their plans.
If Currys have signed you up for a years membership, I would imagine it would then cost you to continue the service (similar to the free anti-virus programmes you get with new PCs).
My personal thoughts are if anything goes wrong with the TV, it's Currys responsibility. At least that's what my probably limited knowledge of the SOGA recalls.
Hopefully someone here will know a bit more about it.

spud

IronGiant

She will have paid a minimum of £49 for 3 years membership, or signed up for £2.99 a month (again minimum) :mad:

spudtator

She will have paid a minimum of £49 for 3 years membership, or signed up for £2.99 a month (again minimum) :mad:

It's really quite shocking that they can get away with that.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member

Yes, but this is the point IG, she never signed anything. At all.

She insists she only paid the advertised price (unless that price included the package).

She says it was £379 for a 37" LG.

I set it up, but can't remember what model it was.
The missus is going to get the receipt tomorrow.

That said, I'm not so sure £49 is too bad for an extra two years.

IronGiant

for a £379 TV it's £109 for 3 years or £4.49 a month :( Even more if they signed her up for Premium, that runs at £189 for 5 years...

I'm sure she didn't knowingly sign up for anything. It's either a freebie, a mistake or sinisterly underhand and fraudulent.

Last edited:

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
Yes, but this is the point IG, she never signed anything. At all....
How did she pay?

If by credit card, then she 'signed' an agreement simply entering her PIN and accepting the goods. You say she bought it on behalf of someone else, but did she use her own card? She should check the receipt and CC slip very carefully, because it is possible she has authorised TechGuys to take their subscription directly from her card.

If she paid cash or cheque, the she's OK; also probably if by debit card, because I don't think you have the continuous credit arrangement with debit cards.

IronGiant

Definitely wants following up ASAP because if they have been naughty she can still cancel it. Annoying though...

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
How did she pay?

If by credit card, then she 'signed' an agreement simply entering her PIN and accepting the goods. You say she bought it on behalf of someone else, but did she use her own card? She should check the receipt and CC slip very carefully, because it is possible she has authorised TechGuys to take their subscription directly from her card.

If she paid cash or cheque, the she's OK; also probably if by debit card, because I don't think you have the continuous credit arrangement with debit cards.

Yes, this is my concern.

She used the woman's debit card.
Naughty, I know, but it's the missus' moms best mate and she can't get out.
You know how it is.

The thing is she signed nowt and it wasn't mentioned at all.

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
Do people check the price on the Chip and Pin machine before entering their PIN?

I think Currys have realised nobody does.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Do people check the price on the Chip and Pin machine before entering their PIN?

I think Currys have realised nobody does.

She's pretty sure she did check before putting the pin in.

It's scandalous if they have slipped this past her and if they have, they'll be getting both barrels (not literally, mr nosey plod if you're reading :rolleyes:).
But for now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

IronGiant

You sir, are a Gent :thumbsup:. Far too many people who suspect retailers of anything and everything these days.

In this case I'm one of them :(

njdbaxter

I had the techguys thing for my pc for 2 years, forgot all about it and cancelled it about 3 months ago. tried phoning then on every number possible but all i got was the busy message or a constant ring so had to phone the bank and get them to cancel the DD. cost £6.99 a month. techguys then sent me a letter saying that i had cancelled my policy and that i could start it again for £9.99. :confused:

only phoned them once concerning a problem and the guy i spoke to was a idiot, for a minor problem he told me to do a whole system restore, which i stupidly did, process took about 6 hours, having to reinstall everything and set up router etc.

Phil57

My guess is that she was given a 'FREE' techguys warranty for a short period (possibly a week or so)
When the period expired it transferred to a monthly plan unless cancelled within the free period.
Check your bank-credit card statement, you will probably find they have taken one months subscription already.
You certainly do not have to continue with it.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Why haven't you phoned them?

Because I only found out about it late on and am asking the score on here first, as I think it's more reliable :smashin:

And phone Currys?

Phoning any major outfit is always a last resort for me.
My head goes after about a minute of waiting.
I'd rather try cutting my toenails with a chainsaw, given the choice :)

T4ILZ

Hi

The what ever happens is like a insurance policy if something goes wrong. you have to pay a fee each month that is taken out of your bank account like standing order or a DD,I took one of these out on a cooker I got from currys they do need your bank details tho. You should get documents in the post as well with a policy number.

Andy

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Hi

The what ever happens is like a insurance policy if something goes wrong. you have to pay a fee each month that is taken out of your bank account like standing order or a DD,I took one of these out on a cooker I got from currys they do need your bank details tho. You should get documents in the post as well with a policy number.

Andy

Thanks, but if you read the above, this thing hasn't knowingly been taken out.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022