1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone explain setting up a sound system?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ICEM@N, Aug 22, 2003.

1. ICEM@N

ICEM@N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a or will have a 51" Tosh rptv, a dvd player with digital connection, 5 speakers including a sub woofer for surround sound and a technics amplifier unit which has no digital connection.

Firstly is this going to be any good to setup a surround sound system?, how is it all connected, and will it be as good as 5.1?

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The Toshiba RPTV's have a digital input to accept your dvd player's Dolby digital feed,and also connections for external speakers,so the set could be used without an external receiver/processor if required initially......I'm not entirely clear as to how you want to use the components you have currently,or how many amp channels your Technics amp has....

Using it as I have suggested will give you 5.1 using the RPTV's internal speakers and "woofer" and you can obviously use the external speaker outlets in addition,but in no way will it equal a good external 5.1 system.

3. ICEM@N

ICEM@N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Initially I though I could have the dvd and tv running through the amp and therefore utilising the surround sound speakers. Not quite sure what you mean by number of channels on my amp, there are b right and left and a right and left for speaker and then 6 sections for tape1, tape2, cd, tuner, phono and aux.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    By the sound of it your amp is a sterio (2 channel) HiFi amp & not an AV multi channel amp.
    You can connect 4 speakers but the sound from La & Lb will be the same & Ra & Rb the same. Therefore you will not get sourround sound. The a & b speakers would be used for a set of speakers in 2 different rooms.
    An AV amp will either have a digital input or an input that can take 5 analogue channels from a single source. It will then have 5 channels of amplifacation that will send a different signal to each of the 5 speakers & subwoofer.

Mark.