1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone explain component connections and A/V amps?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Vipen, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    i've got a NAD T752 a/v amp which i will be using when my plasma arrives next weekend (not decided yet but it's happening).

Probably going for the NEC VR5.

At the moment the only digital sources are from my xbox (not chipped) via optical and dvd via erm, another cable which isn't optical but does send a digi signal.

I'm not very good at this you see.

So when i hear people are routing things through their amps i don't understand what exactly for.

I know my T752 has component inputs? but what does it all do for me??

Thanks for advice

2. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it means that you can get you amp to also do video switching as well as audio switching.

You could take you dvd player video output, if component, then straight forward otherwise something like a JSTech RGB2YUV converter would be required, and feed that into one of the component inputs on you T752

You could also do the same for the xbox by getting the MS Hi-def kit, won't feed Hidef unless chipped or softmodded, but will allow you to feed it to the other component in on you T752.

The component output on you T572 would then feed to the component input on you plasma.

then when you change input on you amp, the video and audio are switch over automatically.

So:

DVD->T752-->|
    ............|----> Plasma
    Xbox->T752->|

hope that helps

Gary

3. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Brilliant, thanks very much gary for your explanation. thought i was going to get stuck with 'is this guy dumb or what' no repsonse.

thanks again

4. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem Vipen, HTH

forgot to mention, that it also saves you having to switch inputs of your plasma as they both use the same input (component) :thumbsup:

This is the same setup as we have our system, except the DVD player is currently going through the Sky box, which them goes to JStech box, then AMP, so;

DVD->Sky->JStech->Amp|
    .....................|----------->Plasma
    Xbox->Amp------------|

regards
    Gary

5. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    hi, me again. just need to clarify a few things. i 'may' get a panny, i may get an nec. panny comes with only one connection option which is the component board (part of the deal).

so is component the ultimate connection and if i run it through my amp will there be any image degradation?

also, you have your dvd running through your sky box, how do you switch or do you just turn on dvd and it takes that signal over sky?

what if my ntl box (sky substiture right now) has no means of passing a signal through it?

and lastly, i don't have a chipped xbox nor really thinking about it as if i turn it on drunk or a mate does it'll boot me off xbox live. forever!! so it's scart or nothing.

so i'm stuck with too many connections into just one component slot on say the panny.

does the js device only take one scart to convert to component?

any ideas?

6. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi M8e,

I think that DVI/HDMI is the ultimate connection but very few amp do switching of them, so Component is the best of the switched ones. I don't notice any degridation, but haven't really compared it to anything else. If SWMBO likes the pictures then it must be ok :)

Yep, DVD player overrides skybox when DVD is turned on.

It there are two SCART connectors on the ntlbox - it more than likely will support passthru - although not gauranteed. You may need a scart switcher otherwise, although there are other means of connecting it, not fully sure of standard connectors on Panny due to having a Pioneer panel

You don't actually need to have you xbox chipped to use the Hi-def kit, my Xbox isn't chipped but I still use the component connection from a third party hi-def kit, this gives me digital audio output also :)

Pretty similar problem i'll have if I go for a new DVD player with component out - 3 devices on 2 component inputs on AMP.

The JS tech does only have one scart, hence my use of the passthru on the Sky box.

The are a number of solutions but I wouldn't like to say which is best, prices vary also upto a few hundred pounds - maybe worth putting a shout out to MAW or Hornydragon etc for details on that, maybe try a search of the forums to.

Either the DVD or the Xbox could be connected directly to the VGA input on the Panny, but that would mean you don't have source switching for it and you need to switch inputs on the Plasma also.

The other solution would be if your amp upconverts the other video inputs to component, like some of the Denons do, then feed NTL box via s-video into s-video input on amp, amp then upconverts to component and feeds signal out thru component out on amp to plasma (phew!) - not sure what affect this has on picture quality though.

checkout this posting - similar question/situation with some solutions :- http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183472

regards
    Gary